none
OS Tweaks not "sticking" when making changes to image during "Suspend" command RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been testing a  number of scenarios with MDT using this video from Michael Beaver as a reference:

Deploy MDT 2013 and Windows 10 from scratch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOgvECpIsAI

In it - Mike sets up an MDT build lab from the ground up. One thing that is interesting to me in the vid - is where he inserts a Suspend command into the Deploy and Capture segment when first deploying Windows 10 to a new VM. This places a "Resume task sequence" icon on the desktop - but also allows the user to make mods to the Win 10 deployment as well.

While Mike does at least one thing in his video (Sets Remote Desktop to be on) - in my tests - I tried to do a few more things like add two group policy changes (Lose Consumer Experiences and Turn Off Cortana and I cleaned up the start menu etc - and then continue on with the Task Sequence by double clicking the icon.

But when I finally get around to capturing that image and then redeploying it to test it on a new VM - all of my tweaks are gone. No GP edits came across and the start menu is back to it's shoddy state.

Clearly something else is happening when I hit "Resume Task Sequence". Anyone have any ideas on why something like turning on Remote Desktop will stick in the captured images but my stuff will not?

Cheers,

B

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 8:18 PM

All replies

• I think the answer to this entry will answer your question as to what is going on:  https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/f2050803-5dce-4bd2-a122-e90af13df0b5/sysprep-and-local-group-policies?forum=w7itproinstall

I prefer to use GPO instead of Local Policy for any policy changes and this is one of the reason.

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:39 PM
  • is CopyProfile  set to true in the unnatend.xml

this copies the windows profile that has been customized   

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 10:58 PM

Sorry but I do not understand what this has to do with the issue. Can you explain exactly what you mean by CopyProfile in unattend.xml?

B

Thursday, December 29, 2016 4:49 AM
  • https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/hardware/commercialize/manufacture/desktop/customize-the-default-user-profile-by-using-copyprofile

check out the article linked will explain much better than i can.

Thursday, December 29, 2016 11:08 AM
  • Hi,

Most of the settings in windows 10 will not be changed until the OS license is activated or the machine should be in domain.

Thursday, December 29, 2016 11:37 AM

I ran another test today - ensuring that CopyProfile was set to true - and there was still some major oddities.

Firstly - I made about 20 group policy changes during the MDT "Suspend" phase and all of those items made the transition to a new install.

But simple things like add a few apps to the start menu and pinning two icons (IE and Explorer) to the taskbar - did not come across.

I also installed two apps during the suspend period. One app made the transition (cCleaner) and the other did not. Most odd.

Not exactly sure what I am doing wrong here?

B

Monday, January 2, 2017 3:10 AM