Cannot expand public folders in outlook unless in cached mode RRS feed

• Question

• Public folders open up fine if the client is in cached mode, but not in non cached mode (cached mode unchecked).  The error is "Cannot expand the folder.  The set of folders cannot be opened. The attempt to log on to Microsoft Exchange" has failed.  I've tried unmounting and remounting the pf store associated with the mailboxes affected.
    Friday, July 29, 2011 8:02 PM

Answers

• I would dismount and mount it again . Be ensure RPC Client access service is started in MB server.

Thanks

Mihir Nayak
    • Proposed as answer by Surika RK - MSFT Thursday, September 8, 2011 9:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by JRVA_Q Saturday, September 10, 2011 10:40 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There are several reasons to check for the issue. Check if the MBX database where he users mbx is present, is pointed to the correct PF Database.

1. If yes, then in EMC-->Tool--> PF Management Console--> Expand all the PF, check if you could see the Heirarchies.

2. If yes, then Highlight each PF on the left Pane and right click its content on the right Pane(Properties) and check if self replication is added or not(ie the PF should have replication added to its server name)

3. If yes, Run Exchange Best Practices Analyzer and check if it says Site Folder Server  is deleted. If yes then follow this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996485(EXCHG.80).aspx

4. If your answer to 2. is No, then check in ADSIEDIT that we have folder heirarchies under Exchange ADdministrative Groups: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727370(EXCHG.80).aspx

Let me know if you have any issues still.

APK
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 2:34 AM
  • Hi JRVA,

Please help to verify below information:

1 Whether you can open PF in OWA?

2 How about rebuild an Outlook profile?

3 How about change a Windows profile to login this computer them try again.

4 Make sure that all the services in your mailbox server are started.

Best Regards!
    Monday, August 1, 2011 8:56 AM
  • Yes all the users are pointed to a valid public folder store.  The only mail client that cannot reach the pf store is outlook uncached. MFCMAPI also has the same issue.  It works fine via owa, ews, and outlook cached mode.  The best practices analyzer shows no issues.  Other replicas of the store on other servers open fine with outlook uncached.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 3:24 PM
  • Hi,

How many users got this problem? What's the Exchange server and outlook version?

If just few has problem,

how about opening it on other machine with the problematic account.

Let's see whether it is an Office Outlook client issue.

Best Regards!
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 8:28 AM
  • Exchange 2010 sp1 rollup 2.  All kinds of versions of outlook.  Like I said, even MFCMAPI has the issue.

If the user is on a database associated with that public folder, they cannot open the public folder with outlook unless they are cached.  I've watched the connection properties, and whether or not they are cached or uncached, the public folder server is the same.  There is no referal happening.  Also, since 99% of our outlook users are in cached mode, this has had very little impact. All of our other users are using EWS clients like Outlook 2011 or Entourage. 

One thing to mention is that this is a dag and the public folder store is not on the current active server.  It's just bizzare that being in cached mode would make any difference.

Thursday, August 4, 2011 12:22 AM
  • I am also unable to open the PF with Outlook in either cached or non-cached mode.  I can open the public folders when I use OWA.

I also tried opening the PFs from a computer that does not belong to the domain but uses Outlook Anywhere to sync mail to Outlook.  I get the same results as with Outlook on my computer that is a domain memeber.

It is a security issue with the way Outlook 2K7 or 2K10 connects to Exchange that is causing the issue.

Monday, August 22, 2011 1:32 PM
  •  

Hi JRVA_Q

Is that the OWA and Outlook in online mode was tried on the same machine?  With MFCmapi are you getting the same error message as the Outlook online mode? How many public folder stores are in the environment?

I understand that not all users are in online mode with Outlook, but would you happen to know if this issue happening for all the users or only a few users are affected

Have you tried to create a new profile for the affected user on a different machine? Have you tried to move the affected mailbox maybe to a different mailbox store or have it point to another public folder store and see if the issue persists?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Surika Microsoft Online Community Support
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:42 AM
  • I would dismount and mount it again . Be ensure RPC Client access service is started in MB server.

Thanks

Mihir Nayak
    • Proposed as answer by Surika RK - MSFT Thursday, September 8, 2011 9:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by JRVA_Q Saturday, September 10, 2011 10:40 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:48 AM
  • The error is not happening anymore. I assume it was due to rebooting this server this past weekend.  Note that mounting and remounting did not solve the original problem.

Answer: Reboot the server with the public folder.

Saturday, September 10, 2011 10:42 PM