none
Project 2010 - Automatic scheduling or manually changing end date on summary task wipes out gantt formatting RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Below is a before and after screenshot if I do any of the following:

1. Turn on automatic schedulilng

2. Manually set the end date of the summary task to beyond any of the below tasks end dates. 

Any help would be great.

It uploaded after so before is last pic and after is first below.

Before

Friday, February 6, 2015 6:39 PM

Answers

• I'll have a go at it just to see what happens. I did something similar to your example and it is quite easy to see that as I drag the end of the manually scheduled summary bar back and forth the formatting on the manually scheduled task reverts to the style, see below.

Have you considered giving up manually scheduled tasks (and summaries) entirely, especially a mixture of manual and auto scheduled tasks and summaries in the same plan, or it will be a constant headache and you are not giving the software a chance to do its job.

Also, better get on top of bar styles asap, because it is much better and faster way (and perhaps more sticky) to custom format. Styles allow you to specify various formats (colours, shapes etc) for an entire class of tasks that meet specific criteria. So get the criteria right and after that there's no work to do.

• Marked as answer by DeveloperJTM Saturday, February 7, 2015 3:21 PM
    Saturday, February 7, 2015 4:15 AM

All replies

• DeveloperJTM --

In my opinion, summary tasks should never be Manually Scheduled.  If you change the Cycle 1 summary task to Auto Scheduled, doing so will eliminate the problem.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, February 6, 2015 7:41 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Thanks for the reply.  I agree and therefore when I turn on automatic scheduling on the summary task it wipes out the formatting in my gantt chart as per my images.  Any idea why changes in the schedule timelines (automatic or manual) would remove gantt formatting?

Thanks,

Todd

Friday, February 6, 2015 9:12 PM
  • DeveloperJTM --

Nope, no idea why.  Sorry.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, February 6, 2015 10:30 PM
  • I don't see where you have changed to automatic scheduling since all of the tasks and the summary are manually scheduled tasks, both before and after.

I think that he reason why the formatting changes is because your bars are individually formatted instead of via bar styles.
    So MSP updates the view and applies whatever is currently in bar styles for that view.... maybe, I haven't checked

Saturday, February 7, 2015 1:44 AM
  • Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the reply.  For the purpose of the screenshots I didn't demonstrate automatic scheduling.  I did however turn it on at the application level (settings), summary task level and individual task level.  Either immediately or after a calculate it would ultimately remove the custom formatting either accross the board (If all tasks were set to automatic) or just to the point where the summary task end date is set.

To your second point.  I don't have a huge amount of experience with bar styles but if we use ms word as an example are bar styles not the equivalent of a font?  With customizations like I've made (you stated above 'individually formatted') something like bold or italics for example?  I need to do specific customizations for the stakeholders I will be presenting this to (ie: blue means this, red means that) on a bar by bar level.  That would be weird if ms didn't allow for that no?

It would be amazing if someone could put together a test.  Create 1 summary task, 2 sub level tasks, set the dates (with both manual and automatic), format the bars with a change (red or whatever) and then see if changing the summary task end date removes the formatting on the sub level tasks in the gantt.  I know its a long shot but if someone is bored i'd send them some karma.

Thank you both for taking a crack at helping.

Todd

Saturday, February 7, 2015 3:16 AM
  • I'll have a go at it just to see what happens. I did something similar to your example and it is quite easy to see that as I drag the end of the manually scheduled summary bar back and forth the formatting on the manually scheduled task reverts to the style, see below.

Have you considered giving up manually scheduled tasks (and summaries) entirely, especially a mixture of manual and auto scheduled tasks and summaries in the same plan, or it will be a constant headache and you are not giving the software a chance to do its job.

Also, better get on top of bar styles asap, because it is much better and faster way (and perhaps more sticky) to custom format. Styles allow you to specify various formats (colours, shapes etc) for an entire class of tasks that meet specific criteria. So get the criteria right and after that there's no work to do.

• Marked as answer by DeveloperJTM Saturday, February 7, 2015 3:21 PM
    Saturday, February 7, 2015 4:15 AM
  • Cool thank you for testing that out.  At least I know I'm not crazy... much.  The only issue I have with all automatic is that I'm putting a plan together for actuals.  So all of the tasks above have come and gone (Creating it for a presentation and proposal for changes next year).  Also, I have milestones that cannot move in the schedule.  Therefore, I can't risk, especially when I'm going to have hundreds of these, having some of them move on their own.

I'm going to play with bar styles and report my progress back here to see if I can't come up with something.  Thank you very much Trevor.

More to follow,

Todd

Saturday, February 7, 2015 2:28 PM
  • Ok I went down the rabbit hole far enough to know that I'm not going to spend hours/days of my time scripting filters and flags to combat the ever overlapping bar styles that stomp on one another.  

Who ever thought having bar styles that automatically apply based on multitudes of criteria was not a project manager.  KISS all the way guys.  In word did they say "Oh your want to underline a word?  Ok setup a filter, the align it to a flag then create a word style then delete all the default word styles that might interfere with the style you want to apply, then create your new style THEN no no no don't apply it as you see fit, let the criteria (oh lords the criteria) dictate when that word is in fact underlined.".  

I completely understand the need for bar styles but let me create one and apply them as I see fit on the fly.  Yes have default styling but my custom bar style that I apply trumps it.  

Everyone thank you for your help and I apologize for the rant but I'll be using my personal copy of project 2013 (I was trying to use corporate project 2010) online instead of this convoluted mess.  

I'm sure some project manager requires this amount of complexity but its the exception and not the norm.

Todd

Saturday, February 7, 2015 3:21 PM