inetcomm.dll error RRS feed

• Question

• About two days ago, I logged back on after work and was met by a host of error messages. Yahoo messenger, msn messenger were giving error messages that they were not designed to run on windows and contained an error. Yahoo closed itself down, msn could be reopened. My aol instant messenger worked, but I could not actually type messages to people. I also got a message that read 'C:\Windows\system32\inetcomm.dll is not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error' with all the other error messages. All were programs I'd been running for weeks and there had been no problems previously or anything installed in the past week.

I ran ad-ware and attempted to update and run Norton. Norton told me that some of the updates could not be downloaded and the manual fix didn't work. Eventually, I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling Norton. I was able to succcessfully update and scan for virus, which noted and removed cookies. I also ran ad-ware and spybot. Msn now works and a re-installed aim now works as well.

However, I keep getting the 'C:\Windows\system32\inetcomm.dll is not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try instaling the original software or contacting people for support, etc' when I log on. I'm not sure what's going on or how to fix it and any advice would be welcome.

Thank you,

Lynn
    Monday, September 15, 2008 9:28 AM

All replies

• I should note that I have a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop and Vista Home Basic.
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 10:36 AM
  • Did I put this in the wrong forum or something?
    Saturday, September 20, 2008 8:43 AM