Folder Redir not functioning RRS feed

• Question

• Working on Windows Server 2016 Data Center Edition.  I have set up Redirection folders for several users.  
    1. In Active Directory I have added the users I want to redirect the folders to in this group call Redir_full
    2. I have created a folder on the root directory of the server.  Called it Redir
    3. I have everyone Read/Write permission on the top level of this folder.  
    3. I created a GPO under Default Doman Policy / OU with affected users. 
    4. Under User Configuration / Folder Redirection / Desktop I pointed the URL path to the Redirection folders created in step 2. 
    This is the issue:

1. When I  go to computer 1 I see that under Desktop properties I can see the correct location of the root path.

2. I create folders with files on computer 1.

3. I move to computer 2, I am not seeing the folder or files I have created on computer 1.  

4. When I look at Desktop properties on computer 2, I am seeing the local path, not the network root path under properties /location

5. One observation.  When I look at Documents/properties I am seeing the root path on computer 1 and computer 2.

The problem I am having is, if I create a folder /files on computer 1 then I move to computer 2.  The folders and files are not there.  

I have used the command <g class="gr_ gr_1224 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="1224" id="1224">gpupdate</g>/force several times, cannot figure out why one computer shows the correct location path and the next one does not.

Please advise

• Edited by CTO401 Wednesday, July 11, 2018 11:43 PM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 11:40 PM

Answers

• You can enter gpresult /r in command prompt on problematic computer ,and look if the group pollcy has been applied to computer.

Sometimes you need to logon your account for more than twice , the policy can be apply to your computer.

More about redirection you can refer this document

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/folder-redirection/deploy-folder-redirection

• Marked as answer by CTO401 Thursday, July 12, 2018 5:45 PM
    Thursday, July 12, 2018 10:44 AM

All replies

• It can take two or more logon/logoffs for the redirection to occur on computer 2

Also check the event logs on computer 2.

Robert Pearman @titlerequired Windows Server Essentials.com

Thursday, July 12, 2018 9:25 AM
  • You can enter gpresult /r in command prompt on problematic computer ,and look if the group pollcy has been applied to computer.

Sometimes you need to logon your account for more than twice , the policy can be apply to your computer.

More about redirection you can refer this document

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/folder-redirection/deploy-folder-redirection

• Marked as answer by CTO401 Thursday, July 12, 2018 5:45 PM
    Thursday, July 12, 2018 10:44 AM