none
Document library templates / content types

Question

• Hi,

Please can someone confirm a query with SharePoint content types…

If a document library doesn't have content type management enabled a user can click create new document and choose the default word, excel, powerpoint templates, but if you enable content type management it removes these options and just uses the templates you've assigned instead?

If a user still wants the option to create the standard blank documents as well as using the content type templates I have found the option to make the 'document' type visible again but this just allows the blank word doc not excel etc.

Am i right in thinking the only way to get the other office templates to show would be to manually create a blank one of each and assign it to the library? Strange there isn’t an easy way to enable the other document types again as they're there somewherem, unless I’m missing something...

Thanks

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 10:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Cirrus-K,

Per my test in SharePoint online in my environment, if I enable content type management, there is the option to choose the default word, excel and PowerPoint templates.

There is a workaround for your issue. You could create different site content types for different templates. Go to site settings->site content types->create->select “document content types” and “document”->click “advanced settings”-> then upload a new document template for the site content type->add the site content type into the document library.

More reference:

Set a file template for a document or form library.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Set-a-file-template-for-a-document-or-form-library-8e0177eb-46bd-4346-9998-330c32733c25

Best regards,

Sara Fan

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 21, 2016 7:07 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for the reply, can I just ask where abouts you see the options for the other blank office files after enabling the content type management as only the word doc appears for me on the new file dropdown?

Regards
    Kris.

Friday, July 22, 2016 9:02 AM
  • Hi Cirrus-K,

When I click the “new” button above the “all documents”, I will see all the office templates. Like the picture below.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 22, 2016 9:35 AM
  • thanks for confirming that, it's strange that I only get the word and new folder icons after turning on content type management
    Thursday, July 28, 2016 1:31 PM