none
How do I check the extent of a hack RRS feed

• Question

• This afternoon I received an e-mail from a hacker.  MS Office support verified that the hacker used my own Microsoft Exchange account to send me the nasty e-mail.  How can I check the extent of the damage to my PC which is connected to a home WLAN?  I use Dashlane for password management. I also have Malware Bytes Pro. I ran a Windows Defender offline scan and no virus threats were reported.  What Windows 10 logs can I check to see how compromised my system is? The hacker said a key logger was installed. How can that be verified?  Basically I need advice on how to assess the damage.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2019 2:05 AM

All replies

• Hi LarSteak11,

I'm afraid we can not check the extent of a hack.
    Once our mail address, account information, etc. is stolen, it has already been spread widely in some dark world.

But you should ignore and delete the e-mail from a hacker, that must be a fake.
    I have received many e-mails like yours.  I'm certain they are complete fake.
    Regards,

Ashidacchi -- https://ssl01.rocketnet.jp/hokusosha.com/default.html

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 6:58 AM
  • Hi LarSteak11,

Just as Ashidacchi mentioned, please don't trust any contact information provided from the hacker. We can delete the email, try to scan for viruses and reinstall the system if need.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum. Thank you for choosing Microsoft.

Best regards,

Zoe Mo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 21, 2019 9:44 AM