windows 7 unmountable boot volume RRS feed

• Question

• i have been using win 7 rc1 for about 3 weeks now and have had no issues until last night when I received a unmountable boot volume error after a reboot.  i have tried to repair but the system gets to a blank/black screen and stops doing anything .  i have also tried all the other options under the F8 menu (safe mode, last known good config...etc) but same error occures. i decided to try to re-imstall win 7, but it just hangs up again, like it does when I attempt a repair? Any suggestions?  Thanks

Joe
    Friday, June 19, 2009 9:58 AM

Answers

All replies

• Have you tried booting from the DVD, choosing Repair > CMD Prompt  and running chkdsk /r?
    Friday, June 19, 2009 2:12 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  When the HDD is attached. it will not successfully boot into the dvd setup program, thus I can not get to the repair option or the command prompt.  The HDD is last in the boot sequence in BIOS.  It loads all the files fomr the setup DVD and the Windows Starting screen comes up, but once it tries to access the HDD, the screen goes black and nothing loads.  It would seem I would need to delete the partition on the HDD (by hooking it up to another windows machine), but I was hoping to avoid this, since I will have to buy a 2.5 SATA to USB enclosure.
    Friday, June 19, 2009 4:13 PM
  • The drive could be badly damaged. To format it, you can either connect it to a desktop computer or buy a USB > IDE/SATA cable (enclosure not necessary). Here is an Ebay (Hong Kong) cable, which is a must have anyway http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=usb+to+sata+cable&_sacat=See-All-Categories
    Friday, June 19, 2009 6:17 PM