Printer goes offline RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We've been managing  HP and Xerox  printers through print server (Server 2008 R2) and all printers have been published through GP. Since past couple of weeks we've been facing a very weird issue that printers keeps going offline i.e unable to ping ip address and browse to the printer webpage pretty obvious.

Troubleshooting steps that we have TRIED so far:

1.) Updated the firmware 

2.) Reset the printer.

3.) Changed the ip address.

4.) Unchecked the "SNMP Status Enabled"

But none of the above steps helped. Whenever we come into office always 2 and 3 of the printers goes offline and we just go ahead and restart the printer and everything works fine throughout the day.

Any Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• Edited by makenx Friday, August 15, 2014 6:21 PM
    Friday, August 15, 2014 2:08 PM

Answers

• Finally the solution is here:

Issue was lying at switch side , turning off the POE on the switch worked for us. I think it's that different POE switches run at different voltages than others and for this particular switch it was messing up the NIC on the printers.

• Marked as answer by makenx Thursday, September 25, 2014 1:28 PM
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 1:28 PM

All replies

• Hi

If you restart the spooler do the printers come back online?

Any errors in the logs on the 2008 server?

Saturday, August 16, 2014 10:24 AM
  • No they don't.

Didn' find any logs that can be useful

Monday, August 18, 2014 8:40 PM
  • If you cannot even ping the printer it doesn't sound like a Windows Print Server issue at all.  I would start looking at the printers themselves.  Look at why they are not staying on the network.  Is a switch dropping out, have you tried to reset your switch?  I have seen this happen before when updating the firmware via JetDirect WebAdmin and a bad firmware be installed.  The fix was to do a full reset on the printer.  Look up how to do a cold reset on your LaserJet.
    Monday, August 18, 2014 9:44 PM
  • This is kind of random, and may not apply to this, but I've had the exact same issue before with HP printers. When the HP printer had the Smart Install feature turned on, it would periodically kill network traffic to the printer. If your printers have this feature, try turning them off. See below to find out how:

In order to turn off the Smart Install service, you will need to use the built in menu on the printer itself.  Do the following:

Click Ok for the menu

Push the right arrow 3 times to get to the service menu

Then Push the left arrow (I think 3 times) to get to the Smart Install options

Then choose off.

Again, this may not be relevant to your issue, but I'd kick myself if I didn't throw this random fix out there.

Monday, August 18, 2014 9:51 PM
  • makenx,

Has there been any new developments on this issue?  Were you able to use any of the suggestions to gain more information or to solve the issue?

Jeff H.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:33 PM
  • even for the printers this "smart install service" is turned off they are going offline.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 10:23 PM
  • Are you using Universal Print Drivers for everything?  If so what version and manufacture? 

Jeff H.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 10:26 PM
  • Hi J,

we also assuming that could be an issue at switch end coz when we unplug the patch cable in LAN room  from switch printer comes back.

We haven't tried cold reset , will do it and let you know the development.

Thanks

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 10:29 PM
  • Not for all but for most of them "HP Universal 61.155.1.16448" 
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 10:30 PM
  • Let me know how the cold reset goes.  Also what model of printer do you have.

A side note.  Do not upgrade to the v5.8 UPD from HP.  Stay on the one you are at which I believe is the v5.7.  The newer version is nothing but headaches.

Jeff H.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 10:33 PM
  • I have done the cold reset for couple pf printers, lets see how it goes
    • Edited by makenx Wednesday, August 20, 2014 2:41 PM
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 2:41 PM
  • NO, cold reset is also not working.
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 6:08 PM
  • Finally the solution is here:

Issue was lying at switch side , turning off the POE on the switch worked for us. I think it's that different POE switches run at different voltages than others and for this particular switch it was messing up the NIC on the printers.

• Marked as answer by makenx Thursday, September 25, 2014 1:28 PM
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 1:28 PM