How does the 'Set Numbering Value' dialog work ??? RRS feed

• Question

• How does this work?

As you can see the 'set value to' is all grayed out and cannot be changed.

8.9.1 is incorrect and has previously been used. I need to set to 8.9.5

How ???

Why does the 'Advance value' say' skip numbers'. I want to advance the value but I don't want to skip numbers. The last number was 8.9.4 so I need 8.9.5.

Why must MS Word make this so difficult. Why can't it figure out the last number used was 8.9.4?

This is Word 2010.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 4:18 AM

Answers

• The answer to this thread is that it certain circumstances (mine), the set numbering dialog cannot be used to correct numbering.

You have to erase the misnumbered line, then reinsert the text as normal text, then reapply the style.

Why this works and the renumbering dialog does not is a mystery only Microsoft in its infinite wisdom can answer.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 4:59 PM

All replies

• Word's automatic numbering is difficult, if not downright broken. It has been since Word 97 at least.

Numbering in Microsoft Word

There is a technical term about numbering problems: "spaghetti numbering."

It is requiring you to check skip number in order to allow you to manually set a number.

If you want stable numbering that can survive editing, you have IMO, two choices. The first and most popular is to tie automatic numbering to styles as set forth here: How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in Ribbon Versions of Word by Shauna Kelly

It is important to set up all levels you are going to be using at one time using this method.

A second, older, method is to use SEQ fields.

An alternative I have not explored yet is use of the ListNum field.

Any of these is going to require that you start your numbering over, I expect.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 6:17 AM
  • The answer to this thread is that it certain circumstances (mine), the set numbering dialog cannot be used to correct numbering.

You have to erase the misnumbered line, then reinsert the text as normal text, then reapply the style.

Why this works and the renumbering dialog does not is a mystery only Microsoft in its infinite wisdom can answer.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 4:59 PM
  • In most cases you shouldn't have to set numbering manually, if you define a multilevel list properly and let higher levels restart lower ones. See the article to which Charles has already provided a link:

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html

The article makes use of the built-in headings as an example, but you can use any set of nine paragraph styles with your list.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Saturday, January 30, 2016 8:02 PM