No Audio Device Found RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Asus Maxium Formula mobo that came with a Supreme FX-II sound card.  My OS suprise surprise is Windows Vista.  When I install the software (Sound Max with Black Hawk) for the sound card  from the mobo support DVD ROM I get no sound.  On the speaker icon it says, "No Audio Device Found".I have tried updating it with no luck.  It tells me to re-install Sound Max.  I re-install it with no luck.  I can remove the software and the device from device manager.  When I click on search for hardware chages Vista installs my audio device and it works but limited.  Is there another audio software that I can use?  Is there a patch for Vista to recongize it?  What can I do? 

Saturday, March 1, 2008 2:26 AM

Answers

• Thank you for all your help, but I found the problem.  After having everything installed I went into the bios and chaged the front audio from ac 197 to hd audio.  When it restared it was all working great.  Just so that you know.  With Ausus, they come with a Supreme FX-II sound card that you cann't get any where else.  There is no software for that card except Sound Max that comes with the mobo support rom.  Thanks again and have a great day.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 6:10 AM

All replies

• Hello Saltiar,

Have you tried the updated drivers designed for Windows Vista from ASUS website?

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=us-en&model=Maximus%20Formula

You may use Windows Media Player to test if the audio card works correctly.

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 9:10 AM
  • Yrs I tired that before.  I tried it again just in case though.  It came up the same thing as before.  No audio device installed and there has been a change in your configuration you must re-install sound max.

Friday, March 7, 2008 11:43 PM
  • Hi,

According to your first post, I understood that when you installed the software called Sound Max and Black Hawk, the sound device was claimed to be not found.

If the problem only occurs with some 3rd party sound applications, this issue may be related to incompatibility between the software and Windows Vista. Please let me know if this problem occurs when you use other applications like Windows Media Player?

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Monday, March 10, 2008 2:43 AM
  • Thank you for all your help, but I found the problem.  After having everything installed I went into the bios and chaged the front audio from ac 197 to hd audio.  When it restared it was all working great.  Just so that you know.  With Ausus, they come with a Supreme FX-II sound card that you cann't get any where else.  There is no software for that card except Sound Max that comes with the mobo support rom.  Thanks again and have a great day.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 6:10 AM
  • Hello,

I’m happy to hear that the sound card has been detected after BIOS configuration changed, but I also feel weird that this sound card doesn't support audio applications except Sound Max.

I will add comments here if getting any new information about this issue. Thanks for your update.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Thursday, March 13, 2008 6:26 AM
  • Well. You had good reason to feel weird about this card.  I am having major issues.  Here are the details.  I began with a fresh install of Vista x64 Business 3 or 4 months ago.  After driver install sound worked fine.  I purchased Vista Ultimate x64.  I did a clean install of Ultimate x64 installed sound drivers and everything worked as expected.  A few weeks ago I began to experience the issue he explains above as when I logged into Windows I would recieve the message "Your audio configuration has changed, please re-install SoundMax".  So I tried.  The installer would fail on every try with the error of smwdm.sys was missing.  I tried re-seating the card and even talking to it at times.  It would occassionally after many restarts come back on as nothing happened.  Of course immediately after another restart the problem would arrise again.  So, frustrated I got a NEW out of box HDD and replaced my current one and did a clean install of Vista Ultimate x64.  From the first log in to windows till now Vista has still yet to recognize I even have the card installed with the red x over the sound icon with message of No Audio Output Device is installed.  I have tried Scanning for hardware in Device Manager with no luck.  Turning off audio in BIOS, booting, rebooting, re-enabled sound, still no luck.  Here are my specs below.  I would say the only connection was that SP1 installed before problems occured.  But after new HDD and fresh install with no service pack and problem still occuring I ruled that one out really quick.  I have also purchased another card Identical to my current one and it did not fix anything. My instincts point to the chipset being the cause.  Thanks for the help.

Vista Ultimate x64 SP1

ASUS Striker Extreme

nVidia 680i Chipset 

nVidia 8800GTX video

8GB - 800MHz

Intel Core 2 Quad 6700

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 11:02 PM
  •  

You stated "also purchased another card Identical to my current one"..., is this the ASUS SupremeFX II?.

Try install Vista sp1 then shutdown the system. Remove the power cord, wait 30 seconds then physically remove the audio card & then replace it.

Boot system into BIOS and check the card's configuration.

Boot system allowing Vista to install its default driver.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 6:13 AM