WinXP USB Extension Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, 

hoping someone can help me with this issue:

Explanation:

I have a client who copy a large amount of files via there backup software every night to an External USB drive,  that's great and the process works fine.

The problem starts when they need to change the External USB device and XP assigns it another drive letter, lets say for arguments sake, the fist USB Drive is X:\ and the backups are performed, the drive when plugged in is recognized as a External USB drive (branded XYZ manufacture) the next day it is unplugged ( so X:\ doesn't exist  on the WinXP box anymore) the next External USB drive is plugged in ( branded XYZ  manufacture, drive 2) and it is assign Y:\, as we know software is not that intelligent, and the backup copy fails because its destination is hard coded as X:\.

How? or is there a way with WinXP to permanently define ANY external mass storage USB drive a drive letter, eg X:\???

any / all your thoughts would be of great help

Hope you all have an ecellent day

cheers

Weazzellboi

Monday, March 25, 2013 10:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi  Vegan,

Oh how much id like to advise my clients what to use and how, but as everyone these days are computer experts, and any old pc from the junk pile that used to be our main server will do, im kinda stuck with this old one, until another more newer one falls by the way side...lol

I always wonder why some people spend $$$$$$.$$ on looking flash and then wonder why there backups fail because having the latest I phone is more important than having Good Hardware? (  thought of the day!!) 

But thanks....

have a great day :)

(not pointed at your comment, just one of those technical issues we face!!! lol)

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 12:50 AM
  • Hi

I agree, but unfortunately it was not my choice, i just have to Deal with it!! lol

( somehow)

i had to look up the true meaning of:expedient

Definition of expedient
    <section class="senseGroup" style="margin:0px 0px 20px;padding:0px;border:none;box-sizing:content-box;color:#333333;font-family:Georgia, Palatino, 'Palatino Linotype', Times, 'Times New Roman', serif;line-height:20.390625px;">

adjective

• (of an action) convenient and practical although possibly improper or immoral:either side could break the agreement if it were expedient to do so
    • (of an action) suitable or appropriate:holding a public enquiry into the scheme was not expedient
    </section><section class="senseGroup" style="margin:0px 0px 20px;padding:0px;border:none;box-sizing:content-box;color:#333333;font-family:Georgia, Palatino, 'Palatino Linotype', Times, 'Times New Roman', serif;line-height:20.390625px;">

noun

• a means of attaining an end, especially one that is convenient but possibly improper or immoral:the current policy is a political expedient
    </section>

lol..... 

hey Vegan, thanks for your help!! :)

• Marked as answer by Weazzellboi Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:57 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Weazzellboi Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:57 AM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:49 AM
  • lol, 

i just want it relegated!!!

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:57 AM