Need Blank sa password RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using sql server 2000. in this version i have kept sa password blank. now we are upgrading sql server 2012 standard edition. so how can i keep sa password blank?? for some reason right now i have to keep password blank for working all application related it.

Please help me.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:45 AM

Answers

• Updating prior reply:  Apparently this is possible, though strongly recommended against.

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

My Blog

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:50 AM
  • I did not face any issue while setting up sa user password as blank.

You can set it by GUI - SSMS or from TSQL.

But its risky & second your applcaition should not use sa user. Create seprate user for application with restricted access & proper password.

Regards,
    Rohit Garg
    (My Blog)
    This posting is provided with no warranties and confers no rights.
    Please remember to click Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:14 PM

All replies

• Updating prior reply:  Apparently this is possible, though strongly recommended against.

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

My Blog

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:50 AM
  • It is not safe to use blank password for SA account as any one can use SA with blan password and get access to data. The better option is to set a complex password and update your applicatin to use the new password.

If you are adament in using blank password then uncheck all the password policies checkboxes in the SA login properties and then leave the password blank

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:52 AM
  • Thank you sir. but below post is saying i can set blank password.!
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:58 AM
  • Thank you V. Keerthi. Let me check is it possible.

The procedure is i have to set password at installation time and after that i can set it blank from security right?

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:59 AM
  • I did not face any issue while setting up sa user password as blank.

You can set it by GUI - SSMS or from TSQL.

But its risky & second your applcaition should not use sa user. Create seprate user for application with restricted access & proper password.

Regards,
    Rohit Garg
    (My Blog)
    This posting is provided with no warranties and confers no rights.
    Please remember to click Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:14 PM
  • i have already checked and confirmed that checkboxes in the SA login properties does not have a tick mark and also saved the properties window after leaving the password blank

but when I'm unable to login to the software that is being connected to the respective database in sql server, i find that a password has been assigned to the sa user

our application is not working if a password has been set for the sa user. please give me a solution.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 12:55 PM