none
iSCSI Required? RRS feed

• Question

• We are looking at using DPM 2012 SP1 to backup our data to a Dell TL2000 library and I am starting to setup the server. I read that we would need to use "iSCSI attached libraries" for tape backups. We have a SAS controller installed on the server and I was planning on connecting via the SAS cables. Does this mean that instead of the direct SAS cable connection we would need to setup the server to connect to the library via iSCSI?

Thanks

Thursday, February 8, 2018 9:45 PM

All replies

• Where did you read that?
    Monday, February 12, 2018 10:06 AM
  • Most physical tape libraries are usually connected directly to a host. The case when iSCSI is required happens when your backup software runs inside a virtual machine (which is recommended anyway) or on another host and you have to connect to your tape remotely to perform backups. In case if the virtual machine runs on the same host where a physical tape is directly attached you can pass through your tape or SAS controller directly to a VM. For remote cases no matter if it's a bare metal host or a virtual machine you could use some tape redirector software like https://www.starwindsoftware.com/download-starwind-tape-redirector that works over iSCSI and allows your backup software to work with a remote physical tape library or share this library between several hosts.  

Best regards,

Taras Shved

StarWind Software

Blog:   Twitter:   LinkedIN:  

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 7:04 AM