What to backup prior to reformatting harddisk RRS feed

• Question

• I intend to reformat the hard disk on my Gateway computer

Operating System Xppro Service Pack 3.

Total Physical memory 192 MB

Available system memory 42.99 MB

Total virtual memory 2.00 MB

Available virtual memory 1.96 MB

I have unticked all the programs listed in msconfig startup file and still the computer is painfully slow, frequently freezes up and reports that the virtual memory is too low. The computer is so slow that it is unusable. I have run a check on the installed RAM (Microsoft Diagnostic test) and no problems were found. I have tried other steps including running PC Tuneup without any success and have decided to grasp the nettle and reformat the hard disk.

I have backed up the hard disk using the backup utility in windows Xppro to backup files and settings ("all information on the computer & create a system recovery disk")

I am assuming that the backup (which took over 6 hours to make) is a mirror image of the hard disk and if so and I restore it on the reformatted hard disk will I finish up with all the errors/issues which are slowing down the computer being also restored ie I will be back to where I started. Should I only back up document files and pictures and reinstall the programs from their original disks (if I can find them) after reformatting the hard disk.? I have got the Xppro oem disk.

Advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Sunday, July 31, 2011 4:08 PM

Answers

• The backup you made will indeed restore all the nasties back onto your computer.

It would be best to use Windows NT Backup to just back up your Documents, Favorites, Desktop, and Cookies.  Also, if you're using Outlook Express, you'll want to back up the data store and Address Book too.  The only other thing that may get left behind are custom Office templates that you may have created.  These can be backup up too, if you have them.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    • Marked as answer by JJMACA Tuesday, August 2, 2011 12:48 PM
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:07 PM

All replies

• The backup you made will indeed restore all the nasties back onto your computer.

It would be best to use Windows NT Backup to just back up your Documents, Favorites, Desktop, and Cookies.  Also, if you're using Outlook Express, you'll want to back up the data store and Address Book too.  The only other thing that may get left behind are custom Office templates that you may have created.  These can be backup up too, if you have them.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    • Marked as answer by JJMACA Tuesday, August 2, 2011 12:48 PM
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:07 PM
  •   I simply use the migration wizard when I re-install an OS. This takes care of things like you documents and address book and is easier than restoring from backup (and you don't have to fiddle around to get your desktop looking like it did before). If you miss something you can always get it from your full backup if it is important.
    Bill
    • Marked as answer by JJMACA Tuesday, August 2, 2011 12:56 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by JJMACA Tuesday, August 2, 2011 12:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by JJMACA Tuesday, August 2, 2011 1:00 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by JJMACA Tuesday, August 2, 2011 1:01 PM
    Monday, August 1, 2011 1:56 AM
  • Many thanks.   You have confirmed what I suspected would be the case.
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 12:51 PM