Changing Client Hierarchy (SCCM Instance), in same Domain RRS feed

• Question

•      Our Domain has a SCCM 2012 instance in one data center, and a SCCM 2016 (CB) instance in a new hosted data center.  We are trying to move all the clients to the 2016 instance.  So far we have only attempted Client Push Installation.  This has worked for about 2/3 of the clients.  In a few days, the older data center with SCCM 2012 will be shut down.

The specific question is, if the AD and DNS records for the older SCCM 2012 are removed after it is shut down, does anybody know if a client, that is set to the 2012 Site and MP, will search for the records in AD, without being manually reset to AUTO.  The client base is about 7,000 in total.

Additional recommendations outside the question are welcome as well, but my own options are somewhat limited as I am primarily a guest helping out on this domain.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 2:38 PM

All replies

• There's no such thing as SCCM 2016, it's simply ConfigMgr/SCCM CB.

For the question, I'm assuming the site codes are different, correct?

Clients never ever automatically reassign themselves to a new site regardless of what is or is not published in AD or for any reason. They must be forced to do so -- that's effectively what client push does although there are other ways as well including a simple script that can be pushed or run in a variety of ways.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Proposed as answer by TorstenMMVP Thursday, April 27, 2017 6:25 AM
    Wednesday, April 26, 2017 5:24 PM
  • Thanks Jason, I was afraid of that but wasn't positive.  

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 6:05 PM