If i run: "ping hostname" from 2 different sharepoint app servers - one returns an ipv4 address and one returns a ipv6 - why? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

If i run: "ping hostname" from 2 different SharePoint app servers - one returns an ipv4 address and one returns a ipv6 - why?

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 12:05 PM

All replies

• Hi xyz,

On Windows based PCs and Servers, and where IPv6 is enabled on one of the network adapters, you may find that when you do a:

ping name-of-host

If you get an IPv6 address returned in the results.  But what if you want to test IPv4 connectivity?  You can add a -4 switch to the ping command to force it to use IPv4 as follows:

ping -4 name-of-host

It’s worth noting, that if you do want to test for IPv6 connectivity, you can add a -6 switch to force that:

ping -6 name-of-host

But if you don't want to see IPV6 at all in you server.
    You can also change preferred IP protocol from GUI. To do it, open Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network Connections -> Advanced -> Advanced Settings.
    Select your network connection and using green button set the IPv4 protocol above uncheck the IPv6. You should perform this operation for all available bindings.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 1:44 PM
  • Very interesting...

What might cause this?

We are talking about IDENTICAL VMs running Windows Server...why should one return IP4 and another IP6?

• Edited by xyz2012 Tuesday, June 18, 2019 3:56 PM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 3:36 PM
  • Hi xyz2012, 

If you are on the same network, or VLAN, or subnet as someone else, if you ping their hostname it will return with a IPv6 address, the fact is that the IPv6 protocol in Windows server is the preferred protocol over IPv4.

For more detailed information, refer to the following article:

https://theitbros.com/ping-returns-ipv6-address-ping-ipv4/

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 2:30 AM
  • Hi xyz2012,

I get the feeling if IPv6 is installed on that server- it takes precedence over IP4.

Is that actually responding on ipv6 or are they resolving ipv6. If they are resolving to IPv6 they might be cached or have ipv6 addresses registered in DNS.

I'd try (at the command prompt) running:

ipconfig /flushdns
        nbtstat -R

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 2:42 AM
  • Hi xyz2012,

If a reply helps you, please remember to mark it as an answer, it will be beneficial to others in the community who meet this similar issue in the future. 

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, June 20, 2019 6:31 AM
  • That does not explain why they are BOTH not ipv6 - why is ONE ipv4 and the other ipv6?

I would expect them to be BOTH ipv4 or ipv6 - why is one ping returning ipv4 an the other ipv6...

All answers do not answer this - i want to know why they are DIFFERENT when they should be the SAME...

Does anyone have any REASONS as to why they are DIFFERENT - as opposed to telling me ipv6 is preferred when i have already said BOTH VMs are the SAME...IF they are the SAME whey are the ping results DIFFERENT?

I can't ask the question any simpler....please can someone suggest a REASON for this?

IF ipv6 is the preferred result then WHY do BOTH VMs NOT return ipv6?

Thursday, June 20, 2019 12:14 PM
  • BOTH VMs are EXACTLY the same - standard corporate image - they do NOT randomly roll out stuff where ipv6 is or is not installed!

WHY do identical VMs/Operating systems do different things?

Thursday, June 20, 2019 12:15 PM
  • Hi xyz2012, 

I don't mean ipv6 is the preferred result .

I mean if you ping hostname which returns with a IPv6 address, the fact is that the IPv6 protocol in Windows server is the preferred protocol over IPv4.

For more detailed information, refer to the following article:

https://theitbros.com/ping-returns-ipv6-address-ping-ipv4/

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Friday, June 21, 2019 9:28 AM
  • Hi xyz2012, 

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Lisa Chen 

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 6:50 AM