none
Project Server 2010 Task Update Config Problem RRS feed

• Question

• In PWA “My Task” Team Member Task Update Entry Problem (900+ users)

A task has 8h of actual “work,” “fixed duration” (Non Effort Driven) for 5 days; the resource’s “units” are calculated at 20% for each of the 5 days.

Situation; the resource completes the 8h work in 3 days. They enter in PWA “Actual Start,” “Actual Finish,” 8h “work completed,” and 0h “remaining work.” 

Problem:

“Recalculating” or “sending” automatically changes the “work completed” work to 24h (Total duration) or will remove the finish date and show 16h “work remaining.”

Our goal is for the resource’s update to automatically increase the “Units” percentage to 33% correlating 8h of “actual work” over 3 days duration.

We need the task update process to capture actual resource allocation identifying real duration vs actual work experience.

What configuration or setting are we missing?     

Bert Purcell
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:49 PM

All replies

• Hello Bert

It's working as design.  I think you may want to change to Fixed Work and allow project calculate either your duration or units.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:18 PM
  • Good suggestion, we think alike; that however, produces the same results.

In line with your response; "Fixed Duration" should allow Project Server to calculate "Work" or "Units."

How do I get it to calculate "units" instead of "work" when I enter an "actual start and finish" date where the duration is different than "Work Completed" with "0h Remaining Work?"

Task Duration is different than the actual work/hours required to complete the same task. 

Resource allocation requires we differentiate reporting real work allocation and not falsely overallocate with plain duration. Our resources work several tasks concurrently every day.

Thank you for your earlier quick response

Bert Purcell
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Hi Bert,

What are you trying to accomplish cannot be done the way you are trying to do it.

You cannot enter “Actual Start”, “Actual Finish”, “Actual Work", and “Remaining Work”. Actual Finish is calculated when Remaining Work is 0 and visa versa. If you want to indicate how much work has been done and when, you need to enter Actual Work time-phased.

If you enter Actual Work (non-time-phased) project can only assume it has been done as planned. Project will not recalculate Units.
    When you enter Actual Finish (which I do not recommend), the assignment is simply closed and Actual Work is calculated based on Units (Units is not recalculated based on Actual Finish and Actual Work).

So to accomplish what you need, your resources will need to enter actual work time-phased (day-by-day).

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Friday, October 14, 2011 5:31 AM
  • Hi Hans (Or next MVP of the Project Server 2010)

You have my complete attention! (FYI Our Time Sheet function is disabled; all updates are collected in PWA (My Work))

I need to understand your statement "your resources will need to enter actual work time-phased (day-by-day)."

My understanding is that in PWA (My Work) my resource on day 1 enters 3hrs completed, day 2 enters 5 hrs completed and so on until the task is complete.  This is time phased and will capture actual resource allocation/utilization (Units %) of all completed work over the full duration.

If my resource completes the task over several days and then wants to enter all work in one update; Project Server 2010 will assume the work was done all at once reflecting the results as total duration for the work accomplished. It will not change the "units %" to reflect true duration to work accomplished relationship. 

If the above is true then the only way to correct a condition of "all work submitted in one update," is after acceptance, the Status Manager would use Project Professional 2010 to manually change the work, Units %, and Duration to correctly reflect what really happened.

Please confirm or correct any misunderstanding. I'm always open to better ways to manage this as our team will be supporting a very large number of users.

Thanks

Bert Purcell
    Friday, October 14, 2011 2:19 PM
  • Hi Bert,

Basically what I was saying is that when you want Microsoft Project to correctly reflect what has happened on a project, the data has to be entered correctly.

So if in you example a resource enters his hours day-by-day on the my work page: 3h on day 1, 5h on day 2, ... When the task is completed he can enter remaining work = 0h to reflect this.
    After approval by the Project Manager, the project will be updated with these updates and will reflect exactly what has happened.

But if your resource simply enters 8h, Microsoft Project cannot make any assumptions as to when these 8h have been done, as this information is missing. All he can asume is: it has been done as planned.

So if I understand correctly your needs, your resources will need to enter updates day-by-day on the My Tasks page. They will send these updates for approval to the project manager (status manager).
    Once the project manager has accepted the updates, the projects will be updated with the updates the next time they are opened. There is no need for the project manager to make any changes to the actual work as it already reflects correctly what has been done.

I hope this clarifies things,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Friday, October 14, 2011 2:50 PM
  • has anyone seen finish dates fluctuating after task updates have been approved? We have set finish dates and have seen the dates get pushed out after task updates.
    Thursday, May 3, 2012 2:21 PM