none
R Server Licensing RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any detailed information on the licensing for R Server. I'm primary interested in deploying it on windows or linux. For Windows, the onyl information I could find was 

"Licensing is the same regardless of how you install the server. As an enterprise feature, R Server on a Windows computer is licensed under the SQL Server enterprise license agreement. In a development context, developers and data scientists can install the free developer edition, which delivers the same features as enterprise, but is licensed for smaller developer workloads."

So I'm guessing that means that if I wanted to use it in production on a windows machine, I'd need to have a licensed version of SQL Server Enterprise. Is this correct? Or does it mean that my company needs to have a Microsoft Enterprise Agreement in place? What about on Linux? 

Thanks!

Thursday, February 2, 2017 12:13 PM

All replies

• You'll need to buy SQL Server 2016 Enterprise to get the user rights for the Windows-only version, but there is a separate product SKU for R Server on Linux. Please contact your Microsoft reseller for pricing and further questions.

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 4:55 PM
  • Does this mean that we need to install a SQL Server 2016 Enterprise to the same machine where Microsoft R Server is installed, or 'just' buy a SQL Server license? In the second case, how would our license be evaluated for the Microsoft R Server?

Thank you,
    Gábor

Thursday, December 14, 2017 11:20 AM