Advanced Processor Power state settings - Ignored? RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone else seen Vista ignore the maximum and minimum processor state
    percentages? I can't set my laptop to use 50% of my processor max.
    Vista ignores this hard cap and runs at 100%.  If I unplug the laptop, Vista will throttle back for about 7 seconds and then scale up again.  The interesting thing is, I will look at the speed Vista thinks the processor is at and it is 50%.  If I look at the speed it is actually running at, though, it's at 100%.  (Speeds courtesy of I8kfangui and verified by temperature increasing much too fast to be scaled down)

-Derek

1.7 GHz Pentium M
    1 GB Ram
    60 GB Hdd
    64 MB NVidia GeForce 5200
    Monday, September 11, 2006 10:14 PM

All replies

• I am experiencing the similar problem. Any changes I do to minimum or maximum processor state, do not persist and last only for current session. As soon as power state changes the settings are reset to default values.
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 3:52 PM
  • Same here. I have a Dell laptop running vista. It ignores my power settings and screen saver settings. I have applications for which I need to run for extended times and the machine simply ignores the settings. It goes to sleep in any case.

The ATI driver doesn't handle this well, so I get lock up and processor pegged conditions every time it goes to sleep or when the screen saver kicks in.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 1:25 PM
  • I'm having a similar issue. In my standard powerplans "Balanced" and "Power Saver" the minimum processor state is set to 100%. This is not the default values for these power plans. However, If I reset the power plans to deafault values (5% for the minimum processor state) it's working until I reboot and then it's 100% again. I have tried to create new power plans but the problem is the same whatever I do.

I have noticed that If I start AMD Clock the first thing I do when Vista still is booting, I can se that the CPU clock is going up and down a while and then sets to 100% (in my case 2700 MHz). Seemes like there is something thats changing the minimum processor state values during boot?

Anyone have a clue?

Thursday, February 14, 2008 9:42 AM
  • Think I found a solution. The issue is caused by the Ati External Event Utility/Ati Hotkey Poll service.

After setting the the service to manual start my minimun processor state stays at 5% after reboot.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 2:26 PM
  • Think I found a solution. The issue is caused by the Ati External Event Utility/Ati Hotkey Poll service.

After setting the the service to manual start my minimun processor state stays at 5% after reboot.

I would like to confirm the cause to be the Ati External Event Utility . When I disable the startup of this service with msconfig and reboot, the minimum processor state remains the value I choose. It is weird that an Ati service messes with the AMD Cool and Quiet, since it is the same company now.

My specs:
    CPU: AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz 1MB 45W AM2 Box
    MB: Asus Barebone P2-M3A3200
    GPU1: HD3200 (onboard AMD 780G)
    GPU2: HD3450 (Hybrid Crossfire Enabled)
    Microsoft Vista 32 Ultimate
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 6:22 PM
  • Good Day,

I've got an Opteron 180 and this processsor can runs from x5 to x12 steps. The bus runs at

200Mhz, so the speed goes from 1000Mhz to 2400Mhz.

Minimum processor state =   41% (1000MHz)

Maximum processor state = 100% (2400MHz)

With this parameters all goes fine. I hope this help you.

Note: I have enabled the Cool 'n Quiet technology in the BIOS.

I have used CPUZ software to find the different steps of the processor.

Regards

S.Pinyol

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 1:03 PM