Sequencing a program that requires an ODBC that is created manually RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am a novice with App-V, so please be gentle.

I have a program that normally requires you to create an ODBC manually before you install the program on a machine.

How do I sequence this so the manually created ODBC will go with the program in the package?

I already have dummy ODBC's on the sequencing machine in case that comes up.

Thanks,

Rob

Thursday, September 8, 2011 5:19 PM

Answers

• During the sequencing phase you can do more than just install an application. You could, for example, write a script that adds the ODBC connection and then runs the application setup silently (or even just launch each process one a time so that you can manually make the changes).

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 6:55 PM
  • It finally works. 

Just wanted to say thanks to those who posted.  This program takes a long time to sequence, so it was very slow going through the different scenarios to get it just right.

The scenario that finally worked for sequencing: run setup, create the ODBC, run program updates.  Any version that did not go in that exact order would fail.

I also tried to create the ODBC with a script, but had issues.  I could create an ODBC with a script, but when I used SQL Server Authentification ("WindowsAuthentication = False"), I could not get the script to save the password (maybe I was missing something, but I don't think so).

Thanks again,

Rob

• Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:09 AM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 9:48 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Create the ODBC during sequencing, or create a shortcut to it during sequencing and instruct the user to use that one
    /Znack
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 6:01 PM
  • During the sequencing phase you can do more than just install an application. You could, for example, write a script that adds the ODBC connection and then runs the application setup silently (or even just launch each process one a time so that you can manually make the changes).

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 6:55 PM
  • It finally works. 

Just wanted to say thanks to those who posted.  This program takes a long time to sequence, so it was very slow going through the different scenarios to get it just right.

The scenario that finally worked for sequencing: run setup, create the ODBC, run program updates.  Any version that did not go in that exact order would fail.

I also tried to create the ODBC with a script, but had issues.  I could create an ODBC with a script, but when I used SQL Server Authentification ("WindowsAuthentication = False"), I could not get the script to save the password (maybe I was missing something, but I don't think so).

Thanks again,

Rob

• Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:09 AM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 9:48 PM