Run as Administrator "Windows Cannot Find..." error message RRS feed

• Question

• I have a fully patched windows 7 SP1 workstation on a domain.  I am a domain admin for that domain.  When I try to run any application that requires elevation I receive a message that says: "Windows cannot find c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe Make sure you have typed the name correctly, and then try again." 

This is the second Win7 workstation to have this problem. We simply re installed the OS on the first but I am afraid that this behavior is contagious and will start happening to other workstations.  

I am looking for ideas on how to troubleshoot the problem.  We can remotely connect to the workstation to view event logs and get remote RSOP information.  However, elevating anything locally is not working.

I am open to any ideas on how to fix this.  Thanks!  

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 4:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Friday, June 7, 2013 9:22 AM
    Friday, June 7, 2013 9:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please go to C:\windows\system32 and check if cmd.exe exists, if it disappeared, try to run sfc /scannow to check:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Regards,

Leo   Huang

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Leo Huang

Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:41 AM
  • Leo, thanks for the reply.  the CMD.EXE was an example of what isn't working.  ANY command that I attempt to run elevated has this problem.  if I select anything that is currently running in the task bar and select "Run as Administrator" I get the same message that the executable could not be found.  This has to do with UAC somehow.  I'm not sure how to fix it though.  
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:15 PM
  • Hi,

You can try to temporary disable UAC to see if the same issue occurs.

Leo Huang

Friday, May 24, 2013 3:28 AM
  • Hi,

How’s everything going? Please feel free to give me any update.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Monday, May 27, 2013 9:31 AM
  • Leo, I haven't been able to test disabling UAC.  Do you think that disabling UAC and then re-enabling it would fix the problem?  I could try that but long term I am unable to leave UAC disabled that in my corporate environment.  

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:46 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, May 30, 2013 8:56 AM
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:41 AM
  • Hi,

How’s everything going? Please feel free to give me any update.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 7:41 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Friday, June 7, 2013 9:22 AM
    Friday, June 7, 2013 9:19 AM
  • I just had this exact same problem. All things I tried to launch as an Administrator said the executable could not be found, even though it's showing the correct file path, e.g. C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe.

I discovered the problem was that my user PATH environment variable had been incorrectly updated after installing some 3rd party software. The %PATH% had been removed as part of the string, so the system path was not being included as part of the user path (at least, when running as an administrator).

To see if this is the case and fix it, right-click on Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> Environment Variables... -> Look in the "User variables" section at the top for the PATH variable, and ensure that its value contains %PATH% somewhere in the string. For me, the answer was to replace the entire user PATH variable value to be just %PATH%

• Edited by mward101 Tuesday, January 20, 2015 11:19 AM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2015 10:59 AM
  • hi 

i tried to open advanced system settings but it requires me to be an administrator so it gives me  "windows cannot find '' Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

• Proposed as answer by SantiagoT V Sunday, May 27, 2018 2:35 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by SantiagoT V Sunday, May 27, 2018 2:35 AM
    Friday, March 2, 2018 1:04 AM
  • This solution worked for me:

Booted in safe mode -> turned off uac -> rebooted to normal OS -> enabled uac -> reboot -> no more "Windows cannot find c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe Make sure you have typed the name correctly, and then try again." 

Path variable was not the cause of this error.

Hope this will help others!

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 7:39 PM