none
IE 10 - Modify/Customize Command Bar (Registry Keys or GPO) RRS feed

• Question

• Folks,

I need to modify the order and presence of icons on the Command Bar in IE 10. This needs to be done through GPO/Registry keys as I will do it for the domain and whole environment.

I did search the web and didn't find any useful information. Can anyone provide any info on how to do this task?

Cheers!! 

Please “Vote As Helpful” and/or “Mark As Answer” if this post helped you.

<html:div data-url="https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b2d05fa2-29fc-4d79-8542-59a0fd4a5298/ie-10-modifycustomize-command-bar-registry-keys-or-gpo?forum=ieitprocurrentver" id="link64_adl_tabid" style="display:none;">21</html:div>
    • Edited by Almirzaee Thursday, July 23, 2015 12:08 AM Remove HTML Tags
    Thursday, July 23, 2015 12:07 AM

Answers

• Hi,

On your workstation, Open one (only) instance of IE10 and using the Command Bar context menu (right click on the Command bar, outside of the icon area) select the Customize>Add/Remove commands menu to display the Command bar layout tool...

Add/Remove command bar buttons to the rhs to your users preferences for an IE8 look and feel.

Save your changes.

Position the Favorites Bar and Command bar, any Toolbar Addons on the IE Toolbar to your users preferences... the registry keys that display the command bars also determine the display order of the Command bar, Favorites bar and third-party toolbar..... some third-party toolbars try to over-ride the registry settings... there are limits to how the favorites bar, command bar, and third-party toolbars can be positioned.... unlike IE8. I would suggest that your fist check the third-party toolbar sites for updates for their addons to ensure that you have versions that are compatible with IE9 and higher, or run Windows Defender (Start>Control Panel>Windows Defender) or best yet, uninstall them and block users from installing them with Group Policy.

Once you have configured your IE, close it... you should have no open IE windows visible...

Open regedit and navigate to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser

and export the ITBar7Layout and ITBarLayout64 key values.... these keys hold the ordinal positions of the Command bar, Favorites bar and third-party toolbars.

..... actually after thinking about this... I am not going to continue... its too difficult...it ignores the users choice in determining how they want their web browser to appear. as I said, toolbar and command bar layouts are meant to be user configurable... manually deploying the ordinal arrays to the registry is easily defeated unless you also make a large number of GPO settings.. for example an IE Reset will reset the positions of the command bar buttons, disable any Toolbar or BHO addons and reset the Toolbarlayout array... I've already mentioned that some toolbars highjack the toolbar layout.

I think you should point out to your users the Cost to the IT department of answering user help calls.

At the Microsoft online support forum (http://answers.microsoft.com) the NUMBER 1 reason for problems and lost productivity is third-party toolbars and Browser Helpers... (not the look and feel of the browser).

IE9 and higher, has many of the features that were previously only available as an addon in IE6 and earlier..(Form filler, Search Providers, popup blocker).. you don't need ADDONS... any more...

Your No.1 support call response will be "Do a browser reset"... which will blow away any third-party addons and user customizations of the Command bar.

The second major support fix is "Reset your IE Security zone" settings... You should lock down user customization of these features with Group Policy to prevent users' "Trying to fix things" on their own volition, when in actual fact they are making things worse. (lowering security).

Surely, a little user induction/training is less costly than ongoing support for petty/and preventable hadiths.

IE8 is dead... many of your users will be using IE11 already at home. Upgrade to IE11, use the Enterprise Mode and GPO to configure the baseline requirements for your company's intranet assets, use GPO to configure browser security zones and block users from adding toolbars and BHOs on their own volition with GPO.

If you get this write, you will save your company a lot of money.

I do not work for nor represent Microsoft.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, July 23, 2015 5:23 AM
  • Hi Almirzaee,

thanks for your kind words. Perhaps the best approach in encouraging your management is to look to other companies in your industry or your business partners to see which upgrade path they are choosing...

Microsoft has a large number of seats.... perhaps their single biggest customer is their own divisions.

As you might imagine, a great deal of the IT infrastructure was developed on earlier operating systems and targeted earlier versions of IE.

Enterprise Mode in IE11 was developed specifically for allowing an upgrade path that allows for the slower replacement of outdated technologies.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, July 24, 2015 12:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

this is a rather difficult task to achieve... It requires first using a test machine to add and arrange the command bars the way you want, then saving a number of registry keys in a reg file, then transcribing those registry keys to an inf format and adding that to your Profile file generated by IEAK. Too complicated to explain in the scope of this forum. I have only done it on a standalone PC, not a domain network. To complicate the issue, IE9 and higher has separate registry keys for low integrity processes (32bit exe,dll command bar buttons), so the bitness and file extension of your Command bar buttons comes into play.

The Command bar buttons are meant to be user configurable. If you are deploying a kiosk or public access terminal, the best solution is to use GPO to disable the Command bar and Favorites bar and prevent access to Internet Options and the View and Tools menu in IE to prevent users from changing the toolbar layout. Of coarse iexplore.exe -k opens IE in kiosk mode which has no XUI at all and is a frameless experience.

Can I ask why you are not deploying IE11 instead of IE10?

IE11 supports enterprise mode - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/04/02/stay-up-to-date-with-enterprise-mode-for-internet-explorer-11.aspx

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, July 23, 2015 12:55 AM
  • Thanks for the explanation. I almost knew this is complicated, but I needed to hear it from an expert.

The reason for using IE 10 is my environment is driven by business and not by IT. You can guess the result of course....

We have to deal with IE 10 and again our folks need to be able to remove the "OneNote" Icons and "Page/Safety/Tools/Help/setting Icons".

I am sure you would laugh, but they need to see Icons and features exactly like IE 8!!

I wish I had a better and easier way of removing these icons.Let me know if you think there is a better way.

Thanks again :)

Thursday, July 23, 2015 1:13 AM
  • Hi,

On your workstation, Open one (only) instance of IE10 and using the Command Bar context menu (right click on the Command bar, outside of the icon area) select the Customize>Add/Remove commands menu to display the Command bar layout tool...

Add/Remove command bar buttons to the rhs to your users preferences for an IE8 look and feel.

Save your changes.

Position the Favorites Bar and Command bar, any Toolbar Addons on the IE Toolbar to your users preferences... the registry keys that display the command bars also determine the display order of the Command bar, Favorites bar and third-party toolbar..... some third-party toolbars try to over-ride the registry settings... there are limits to how the favorites bar, command bar, and third-party toolbars can be positioned.... unlike IE8. I would suggest that your fist check the third-party toolbar sites for updates for their addons to ensure that you have versions that are compatible with IE9 and higher, or run Windows Defender (Start>Control Panel>Windows Defender) or best yet, uninstall them and block users from installing them with Group Policy.

Once you have configured your IE, close it... you should have no open IE windows visible...

Open regedit and navigate to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser

and export the ITBar7Layout and ITBarLayout64 key values.... these keys hold the ordinal positions of the Command bar, Favorites bar and third-party toolbars.

..... actually after thinking about this... I am not going to continue... its too difficult...it ignores the users choice in determining how they want their web browser to appear. as I said, toolbar and command bar layouts are meant to be user configurable... manually deploying the ordinal arrays to the registry is easily defeated unless you also make a large number of GPO settings.. for example an IE Reset will reset the positions of the command bar buttons, disable any Toolbar or BHO addons and reset the Toolbarlayout array... I've already mentioned that some toolbars highjack the toolbar layout.

I think you should point out to your users the Cost to the IT department of answering user help calls.

At the Microsoft online support forum (http://answers.microsoft.com) the NUMBER 1 reason for problems and lost productivity is third-party toolbars and Browser Helpers... (not the look and feel of the browser).

IE9 and higher, has many of the features that were previously only available as an addon in IE6 and earlier..(Form filler, Search Providers, popup blocker).. you don't need ADDONS... any more...

Your No.1 support call response will be "Do a browser reset"... which will blow away any third-party addons and user customizations of the Command bar.

The second major support fix is "Reset your IE Security zone" settings... You should lock down user customization of these features with Group Policy to prevent users' "Trying to fix things" on their own volition, when in actual fact they are making things worse. (lowering security).

Surely, a little user induction/training is less costly than ongoing support for petty/and preventable hadiths.

IE8 is dead... many of your users will be using IE11 already at home. Upgrade to IE11, use the Enterprise Mode and GPO to configure the baseline requirements for your company's intranet assets, use GPO to configure browser security zones and block users from adding toolbars and BHOs on their own volition with GPO.

If you get this write, you will save your company a lot of money.

I do not work for nor represent Microsoft.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, July 23, 2015 5:23 AM
  • You have vast knowledge around IE and it's very impressive. Well done and well said...

Thanks for looking into this and sharing your thoughts with me. I am going to push back on this request and suggest IE 11 installation.

Thanks again,

Al

Thursday, July 23, 2015 4:13 PM
  • Hi Almirzaee,

thanks for your kind words. Perhaps the best approach in encouraging your management is to look to other companies in your industry or your business partners to see which upgrade path they are choosing...

Microsoft has a large number of seats.... perhaps their single biggest customer is their own divisions.

As you might imagine, a great deal of the IT infrastructure was developed on earlier operating systems and targeted earlier versions of IE.

Enterprise Mode in IE11 was developed specifically for allowing an upgrade path that allows for the slower replacement of outdated technologies.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, July 24, 2015 12:37 AM
  • Thanks again brother. It was really helpful.

Monday, August 10, 2015 6:33 PM