How to move inetpub (SharePoint web apps) back to system drive RRS feed

• Question

• Back when we originally deployed SharePoint 2003, we were using physical servers. These servers had 2 partitions (C: OS and E: Data). At some point C:\inetpub was moved to the E: drive.  Later, the WFE's were converted to VM (P2V).  Since then we have upgraded and patched these original servers (Win 2003 R2 64 bit Moss 2007 SP2). The E drive has remained.

I have built 2 fresh 2008 R2 servers and installed MOSS 2007 SP2 (same build as original servers). I want to add the new servers to the farm and remove the old servers.  But I cannot join the servers to the farm Because of the Drive configuration mismatch. I want to eliminate this E: drive. Don’t ask why… I just do.

I’m wondering what would be the best approach to getting these new servers online and phasing out the old ones. I’d like to do it with little downtime (I use a hardware load balancer), but I also want to do it using the easiest and most straight forward method as well. I was also hoping to run both sets of WFE server’s side-by sides to make sure everything was working properly. But I fear this may be harder than its worth.  I have read some blogs on moving IIS, but I’m not sure how SharePoint would react to this.

The two scenarios that I can think of is to:

1.       Move inetpub back to the system root on the old servers and then join the new servers. Then migrate old servers off of the farm after testing.

2.       Remove the old servers and join the new servers to the farm

I think #1 is less risky and gives me much less downtime, but I’m not really sure if it’s feasible.

Your advice is greatly appreciated

Bret
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:37 AM SP 2010 removed - wrong forum
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 11:07 PM

Answers

• We did exactly that; removed the old servers/farm and added the new. the downside is lots of reconfiguring. The upside is, everything is fresh and clean again for the 2010 upgrade.

Those considering it; I don’t recommend ever moving inetpub to another drive if running SharePoint...

Bret
    • Marked as answer by Bret Gardner Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:24 PM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Bret,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support. 

Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:47 AM
  • Thanks for looking into this Wayne.

I’m starting to think that I will need to do #2.

I did some testing lats night and was trying to get inetpub back to c:\inetpub from E:. Then I realized that this may not even work.

When I run the configuration wizard on the new 2008 servers, the install log throws this error:

02/23/2011 17:04:45  6  ERR                          Failed to connect to the configuration database.

An exception of type System.ArgumentException was thrown.  Additional exception information: The filesystem path for the IIS web site does not point to an NTFS drive.    This requirement extends to drive letter names.

System.ArgumentException: The filesystem path for the IIS web site does not point to an NTFS drive.  SharePoint requires all web servers in the farm to be configured identically.  This requirement extends to drive letter names.

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPProvisioningAssistant.ProvisionWebApplication(String webApplicationName, String applicationPoolName, SPIisSettings[] settings, Boolean adminWebApp)

I realized that #1 Migration probably won’t work with a mixed 2003/2008 WFE, because even if I do move the 2003 servers back to c:\inetpub, the default web root path in 2008 is not the same as 2003. And according to the error "SharePoint requires all web servers in the farm to be configured identically", this cannot be done.

So I guess what I need now are 2003-2008 WFE migration instructions/guidance

Thanks again.

Bret
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:51 PM
  • Hi,

You can start here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262370(office.12).aspx.  You could also do an extend and map of the existing webapplications and specify a new IIS file location when you do this.

Regards, Savoeurn Va Microsoft Online Community Support
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 9:25 PM
  • Hi Bret,

Would you please let us know how is your problem going? Is the suggestion helpful for your issue?

If you need further assistance, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks,

Wayne

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:37 AM
  • First, thank you for the response.

While I was waiting, I opened a ticket with MS. they basically said that method is not "recommended". They went on to suggest upgrading my 2003 servers to 2008 then try to add the new R2 servers. I think at this point it would be just easier to remove the old ones and add the new. I have a maintenance window tonight, so I’m going to call them again and probably just do that. I’ll update you with the details after.

Thanks,

Bret

Bret
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:12 PM
  • We did exactly that; removed the old servers/farm and added the new. the downside is lots of reconfiguring. The upside is, everything is fresh and clean again for the 2010 upgrade.

Those considering it; I don’t recommend ever moving inetpub to another drive if running SharePoint...

Bret
    • Marked as answer by Bret Gardner Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:24 PM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:23 PM