Legit CD key, No disk RRS feed

• Question

• I have a legit CD key on the back of my system but no disk. The CD key is for a "Windows xp home - Emachine" My friend has a Windows home CD. Can i install his CD onto my system and use my CD key thats on the back of the system?

I read someone did this and used the CD key for that disk. Then when i came to activate it they called and used the CD key on the back of the system.

Thursday, November 3, 2011 12:25 AM

Answers

• Issue resolved. Buddie came over with a windows XP disk he copied and it looks like it took and activated my CD key from my system. Ty for the time and help.
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 1:34 AM

All replies

• you need an emachines cd to use that key

Windows MVP 2010-11, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Iv called them and they told me the warranty is up and they only keep disks from 3 years back. So theres no way to get a recovery disk. Is there a way to call microsoft with the key on my computer explaining ?
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 12:41 AM
  • Issue resolved. Buddie came over with a windows XP disk he copied and it looks like it took and activated my CD key from my system. Ty for the time and help.
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 1:34 AM