none
Cannot print pictures in Photo Viewer that are opened via ZIP file directly. RRS feed

• Question

• One of my user is having problem when opening a picture from ZIP file from Outlook attachment and the 'Print Button' is greyed out. But after extracting, no problem seen.

However, another user, using another desktop is able to click on 'Print' by opening the ZIP attachment directly from Outlook. Both is using Windows 7 Pro too. I did try to ZIP up a few pictures and save onto the desktop itself. Same thing, can't print too.

======

What type of email account is configured in Outlook? Exchange

Is the computer on Domain or network? Domain

Is the print sent to a wireless printer on a network? Network printer

======

Please advise.

Thank you.

• Moved by Max Meng Friday, April 6, 2012 9:34 AM Off-topic (From:Outlook IT Pro Discussions)
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:10 AM

All replies

• Some questions to narrow down the cause:

1. Can you print the pictures from the ZIP file saved on the desktop?

--- If no, why Outlook?

2. Please check if the another user is use the other application to open the ZIP file, if yes, you might consider to install the same application for the user.

Max Meng

TechNet Community Support

Saturday, March 24, 2012 7:41 AM
  • 1. Tested to zip files and placed on desktop. When open from the zip folder (not using any other application, just default Windows compressed folder) also can't print the pictures.

2. Tried the same thing via Outlook and desktop on other desktop, including mine also can print. Hence, trying to see what's not right or there's any settings for this to happen different as per other workstations.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 11:57 AM
  • Anybody can help on this? Definitely dragging out from ZIP folder will be working fine, but want to find a solution for why not being able to print directly from ZIP folder.
    Monday, April 2, 2012 2:34 AM
  • Because that is not supported...

Try install WinRAR for the user. After that, the ZIP file should be opened from WinRAR, and then, the Print function should work.

You can install a trial version first, and if it works, it's up to you to purchase a full version for your user or not. Or you can try to find the other free software instead.

Download here: http://www.win-rar.com/download.html

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Max Meng

Monday, April 2, 2012 2:45 AM
  • But i tested on other workstations, it worked without any application like WinRAR.
    Monday, April 2, 2012 2:46 AM
  • Hi Danny, will you help to check the following?

In the computer which can print from the ZIP file, right click on the ZIP file, choose Open with, click Windows Explorer, see if the Print function would still work.

Also, see what is also available in the Open with list.

Max Meng

Monday, April 2, 2012 2:56 AM
  • Max,

Did you mean to try it on the PC which can't print? Anyway, I tried on both and 'Windows Explorer' is shown in 'Open With' list. However, only this PC is giving problem not being able to print when opening the picture (via Windows Photo Viewer) in ZIP folder. If on desktop, it is working fine.

Monday, April 2, 2012 7:03 AM
  • Hi Danny,

No, I mean the PC which CAN print.

Sorry that I didn't get the answer I need from your reply.

On the PC which CAN print, we select open the ZIP file with Windows Explorer, can we still be able to print the picture inside it?

I ask because I consider the answer should be NO.

Max Meng

Monday, April 2, 2012 7:09 AM
  • Max,

The answer is YES, as what I mentioned in my question in the beginning. The problem is i CANNOT print on another PC, even with the steps you mentioned above. All have been tried using Windows Explorer to open the ZIP file, not 3rd party software.

So, just to confirm, should I be able to print directly from ZIP file, with reference to your steps mentioned above? If it's NO, then I'll try and check on some other things on the PC which CAN print.
    Monday, April 2, 2012 7:13 AM
  • That's weird, I can't get it work on any of my test machines.

Would you mind get a screenshot on the PC which CAN print the ZIP file from Windows Explorer about the installed Programs and Features? Thanks!

You can cover the sensitive information if needed.

Max Meng

Monday, April 2, 2012 7:24 AM
  • Max,

After a few more tries, found out that indeed can't print photos in ZIP file using Windows Photo Viewer, even though on those I mentioned CAN previously. However, it can be printed using Windows Live Photo Gallery.

I tried to use the same default program of Windows Live Photo Gallery on the specific PC which CAN'T print, but still not able to do so too. Is there any specific settings for Windows Live Photo Gallery?

Friday, April 6, 2012 2:24 AM
  • OK, thanks for the feedback.

I'm also unable to print from Windows Live Photo Gallery.

By checking the settings in Windows Live Photo Gallery, I couldn't find anything helpful in this issue.

Now that we can confirm this is not an issue with Office applications, I'd suggest you to move your question to a more appropriate forum to obtain more decent help.

For example, if you are interested in how Windows Live Photo Gallery works with zipped folder, you can visit: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/gallery

Still, a workaround here is to install an application to open these zipped file, and it will be able to print. (Still, you didn't give me the application list.)

Max Meng

Friday, April 6, 2012 5:41 AM
  • Okay Max, will try on another forum then. Anyway, application is not a problem here. Just want to be able to print without even extracting the photos out to the desktop.

Thanks.

Friday, April 6, 2012 8:33 AM