none
Printer deployments - many options

Question

• Hello Everyone,

At my new gig I've inherited a bit of a disaster as it concerns Group Policy, especially with Printer Deployment.  Loopback Merge is applied to just about every machine in our environment.  Printers are deployed based on user through the Print Management Console into a GPO that is then deployed to the machines.

In the past I've always leveraged Group Policy Preferences for printers.  I made a shortcut available for staff so they could choose their printer and then just use Loopback on certain lab environments.  One of the benefits here was to have one GPO and use Item-Level Targeting for granularity.  I've tried to deploy printers via GPP using the TCP/IP method to get around Loopback to no avail.  Deploying through Print Management to 'Computers' works just fine.  This is the method I'm leaning towards but I hate that I cannot edit the GPO directly for this, I ALWAYS need to leverage the Print Management console.

Thoughts and recommendations on how to best move forward?  I like the flexibility of GPP but really want to get away from Loopback except for those unique Kiosk machines.

Thanks!

Friday, January 13, 2017 2:24 PM

All replies

• Could you give us the policy being implemented and why it's implemented that way (if you can)?

I've almost always used GPP with item (group) level targeting and never needed to implement that 8-letter bad word (LOOPBACK).

I agree that printer deployment can be a mess. All that the print management console does is write to the GP (it's not really needed).

Friday, January 13, 2017 2:40 PM
  • Could you give us the policy being implemented and why it's implemented that way (if you can)?

I've almost always used GPP with item (group) level targeting and never needed to implement that 8-letter bad word (LOOPBACK).

I agree that printer deployment can be a mess. All that the print management console does is write to the GP (it's not really needed).

In terms of contextual reasoning, I have none of that.  The few people who implemented Group Policy are no longer employed here.

What is currently being done is this:

1. Loopback Merge enabled on all 1500 machines

2. GPO created for each printer and applied to Computers

3. Printers Deployed to it's associated GPO through Print Management Console on a user-basis

I'd like to use GPP but I want to do it via the TCP/IP Computer Side method but I've never been able to get that to work.  If I deploy through Print Management on a computer-basis it works just great.  I'm leaning towards this method but it would lead to a lot of GPOs and less flexibility but it would work and run lean since there is no Loopback.

• Edited by Petrucci914 Friday, January 13, 2017 3:17 PM
    Friday, January 13, 2017 3:16 PM
  • Hi,
    I am sorry that I have not get what the problem you are suffering, if you want to deploy TCP/IP printer via group policy preference, here is an article regarding it step by step, you could follow it to have a try:
    https://claymoore.wordpress.com/2009/02/04/deploying-tcpip-printers-with-group-policy-preferences/
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 16, 2017 5:44 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, January 20, 2017 9:32 AM