TEXT TO SPEECH ENGINE / SPEECH RECOGNITION ERROR CODE 1706 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

A few months back I installed a few text readers - Smart Reader http://smartread.net/index.php and Ultra Hal Text-to-Speech Reader for experimenting of the text to speech and speech recognition on my Vista 32-bit Home Premium.

A few days ago I uninstalled these programs as I no longer need them. Now, whenever I open the "Text to Speech" and "Speech Recognition" on Control Panel, I get this message:

My original text to speech engine Anna voice that came with Vista seems to be working fine though despite the message. I can run narrator and I can hear Anna speaking.

And obviously I can see the path/folder "C:/Windows/smspeech/smbackup" is created by the program Smart Reader.

When I re-installed Smart Reader, the message stopped to appear.

What can I do? I don't want this program Smart Reader anymore. Can I do a re-installation of the Microsoft Speech components? If so, where can I get them and what are the components I need to install? Or can I do a repair?

Any help appreciated.

********************************************************************************************************************************************

Also, I have set up Speech Recognition on my PC so I can give spoken instructions to my PC. Can someone tell me when you open the "Text to Speech" on Control Panel, does the Speech Properties dialog box pops up TOGETHER WITH the Speech Recognition program as in my case (which means when I open the "Text to Speech", it also opens Speech Recognition program)? Is this normal or it's just on my PC?

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 7:25 PM