WSS 3.0: host header authentication fail RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to create a new Web Application in a server using WSS 3.0 specifing  the host header and port like in the example below:

hostheader : mywebapp.it

port: 80

I added in the file C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\hosts the path:

127.0.0.1     mywebapp.it

after the creation I am unable to access (error in authentication) at the site collection at this address..Why? Inside MOSS2007 I never got this error and If i create a new web application without specifing the host header the access work fine. Any idea?

thanks

Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:01 PM

Answers

• Your entry in the hosts file should point to the regular IP address of the server, not 127.0.0.1.  That address is strictly for localhost.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Wednesday, January 26, 2011 3:38 AM
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:31 PM
  • There is a security feature installed through a service pack (depends on what version of windows you are using) wihch might prevent you to access the site using host header. Below URL contains more information on this and the fix.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896861

Thanks,
    Dip

Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:53 PM

All replies

• Your entry in the hosts file should point to the regular IP address of the server, not 127.0.0.1.  That address is strictly for localhost.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:31 PM
  • There is a security feature installed through a service pack (depends on what version of windows you are using) wihch might prevent you to access the site using host header. Below URL contains more information on this and the fix.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896861

Thanks,
    Dip

Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:53 PM