Meaning of Values in v_GS_INSTALLED_SOFTWARE.EvidenceSource0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

How do I interpret the values in v_GS_INSTALLED_SOFTWARE's column EvidenceSource0?

I suspect that there is a relation between this column and the WMI class SMS_InstalledSoftware's EvidenceSource variable. However, the variable contains single letter codes (the meanings of which are given on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc144824.aspx) while the column tends to contain 25 character strings (for example: BPAXACAAAAXAXXACAXAXBAXX0).

Thank you,
    Ben

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 9:10 PM

Answers

• The view v_GS_INSTALLED_SOFTWARE is an inventory view which corresponding to data in table INSTALLED_SOFTWARE_Data, the actual data comes from WMI class SMS_InstalledSoftware collected in client side by inventory agent.

So the EvidenceSource0 in v_GS_INSTALLED_SOFTWARE is actually the same as WMI class SMS_InstalledSoftware's EvidenceSource variable.

Both the EvidenceSource0 and EvidenceSource represent where the value of specific property was discovered. For your example, BPAXACAAAAXAXXACAXAXBAXX0, it means the SoftwareCode is from registry (B), while InstallType is Physical software not virtual software (P, not V), and CM_DSLID is from windows installer database (A), source of ProductName is not recorded (X), etc. the last digit represent the combination source of Name, Publisher, Version and Language, in your example it is 0 which is MSI, means most of the 4 value are from MSI.

The above information is collected but not used except the last digit in AI upload. I’m curious why you want to interpret the value? What’s your scenarios that you want to achieve?

• Marked as answer by BenCHK Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:40 PM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:54 AM

All replies

• The CM07 SDK is the only source for this type of data. I suspect that you are right that the evidence source is based on SMS_InstalledSoftware.

http://www.enhansoft.com/

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 1:43 AM
  • Thanks, Garth! I wonder if anyone from Microsoft would be willing to chime in with clarification. I haven't been able to figure out the exact correspondence between the CM07 SDK and that database table column.
    Monday, June 11, 2012 12:41 PM
  • The view v_GS_INSTALLED_SOFTWARE is an inventory view which corresponding to data in table INSTALLED_SOFTWARE_Data, the actual data comes from WMI class SMS_InstalledSoftware collected in client side by inventory agent.

So the EvidenceSource0 in v_GS_INSTALLED_SOFTWARE is actually the same as WMI class SMS_InstalledSoftware's EvidenceSource variable.

Both the EvidenceSource0 and EvidenceSource represent where the value of specific property was discovered. For your example, BPAXACAAAAXAXXACAXAXBAXX0, it means the SoftwareCode is from registry (B), while InstallType is Physical software not virtual software (P, not V), and CM_DSLID is from windows installer database (A), source of ProductName is not recorded (X), etc. the last digit represent the combination source of Name, Publisher, Version and Language, in your example it is 0 which is MSI, means most of the 4 value are from MSI.

The above information is collected but not used except the last digit in AI upload. I’m curious why you want to interpret the value? What’s your scenarios that you want to achieve?

• Marked as answer by BenCHK Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:40 PM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:54 AM
  • Thank you, Chuanbo! I've spent a bit of time in the SCCM software inventory views looking for clues which would indicate whether a particular piece of software was installed stand-alone, as a part of a suite (e.g. was Microsoft Word installed by itself or as a part of Microsoft Office?) or as an update/prerequisite to another application (e.g. a C++ redistributatable which was required by another application). I wanted to understand the meaning of EvidenceSource0 in case it would provide clues to this end.

Looking at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc144824.aspx, I don't see a key mapping character positions in EvidenceSource0 to properies of SMS_InstalledSoftware. Where can I find that key (i.e. first letter = software code, second letter = install type, etc.)?

Ben

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:50 PM
  • the key mapping is just used internally so there is no public document about it yet, I checked the source code and see that.

for your scenarios about the software relationship, dependency, etc, as far as I know we do not have any build-in support for that in software inventory. in CM12, we have App Model which could support to provide that manually during deployment, but we do not have build-in software inventory to collect that information yet.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:18 AM
  • Ah. I see. Thank you for your help with this, Chuanbo!
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:40 PM
  • Would it be possible to get the mapping for each field > position to be documented please? 

Levi Stevens

Monday, December 31, 2018 10:57 PM
  • I would second that emotion!

My need is because v_Gs_installed_software is showing some very expensive software installed on many systems where it is not.  I cant find the "evidence" and am trying to decipher the evidence source values.  I have some "V" letters in mine and that's not on the technet page.  Clueless as to how this software is showing up as installed and I'm trying not to have to open a case on this just to be pointed to a bad uninstaller.  I need to prove the bad uninstaller so I can get the vendor/packagers involved.

-Nick-

nick

Thursday, May 21, 2020 3:15 PM