none
Windows Defender - Registry entry for last completed update date/time - (On Windows 10 Pro). RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user who has no internet access (for security reasons) and gets updates to Windows Defender supplied by the IT team by downloading the offline updater definitions from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/definitions. We supply this via CD.

I am currently trying to create a vbscript/scheduled task to check the status of the last completed update to Windows Defender on this users offline PC. I can't find a way to extract the data (Last completed update - date and time) from Windows Defender Security Centre under Virus and Threat Protection Updates. Previously i have used the registry to extract the update - date and time data. I've checked online via research and spoken to Microsoft IT who have pointed me here for more advice on whether this is an option for Windows Defender and if not, what other possibilities could be explored?

Basically i want to ensure the user is updating the definitions at least every 30 days and will lock the user account if the last completed update was over 30 days ago. I have completed this task before for a different AV provider and found that the registry contains a 'Last Update time' in hex format that i used some code to format in a way that can be compared to the System Date and Time and thus lock out the user account if updates haven't been completed regularly.

I've also investigated via using task scheduler with no luck.

Can anyone please assist?

Thank you.

Monday, September 3, 2018 2:05 PM

All replies