none
Problem migrating DPM Data RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings!

I'm trying to move some recovery data from one drive array to another, so that I can replace the original drive array. Both arrays are 6TB. The array I'm trying to move from is 15% unallocated, and the array I'm moving to is 100% unallocated.

The server is Windows Server 2003, SP2

I use the script migratedatasourcedatafromdpm.ps1, and the dpm service keeps dying while the script is running. The script displays the following error:

Set-ProtectionGroup : Connection to the DPM service has been lost. (ID: 917)
    DPM service could be running in recovery mode, which was initiated by the DpmSy
    nc tool. If DpmSync is not running and the DPM service is still in recovery mod
    e, then run DpmSync again.
          Review the application event log for information about a possible service
     shutdown. Verify that the following services are not disabled:
          DPM
          DPM Replication Agent
          SQLAgent$MS$DPM2007$
          MSSQL$MS$DPM2007$
          Virtual Disk Service
          Volume Shadow Copy
    At C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1:108
    char:22
    +         Set-ProtectionGroup <<<<  $mpg
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-ProtectionGroup], DlsExce
       ption
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 917,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.
       Cmdlet.ProtectionCmdLets.CommitProtectionGroup

DPM
          DPM Replication Agent
          SQLAgent$MS$DPM2007$
          MSSQL$MS$DPM2007$
          Virtual Disk Service
          Volume Shadow Copy
       ption
          DPM
          DPM Replication Agent
          SQLAgent$MS$DPM2007$
          MSSQL$MS$DPM2007$
          Virtual Disk Service
          Volume Shadow Copy
       ption
    Remove-DPMDisk : Connection to the DPM service has been lost. (ID: 917)
          DPM
          DPM Replication Agent
          SQLAgent$MS$DPM2007$
          MSSQL$MS$DPM2007$
          Virtual Disk Service
          Volume Shadow Copy
    At C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1:110
    char:16
    +     Remove-DPMDisk <<<<  $Source
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Remove-DPMDisk], DlsException
       Cmdlet.RemoveDPMDisk

The service stops 2 or 3 times while the script is running, each time generating a application event log message.

Event ID: 999

Source: MSDPM

Type: Error

An unexpected error caused a DPM service failure. Restart the DPM service.

I've searched all over, and haven't seen the problem. Any suggestions on how to correct the error, or even another way to move the data? The drive array is a replacement, and I'm hoping to get this resolved before I get charged for it :-)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike Scott

• Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Monday, July 19, 2010 7:09 AM Moving to DPM Storage Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 3:25 PM

Answers

• Try migrating individual data sources one at a time - it may be one is throwing the error, and if you can migrate all but one, then you can stop protection for that data source and try re-protecting it, then moving it again.  If that still fails, stop protection and delete replica, then re-protect it and again migrate it if it got re-created on the old san. 
    Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 3:30 PM