none
SharePoint Database Instance - shared

Question

• Hi,

I guess Microsoft recommends to keep the SharePoint Databases in a separated DB instance (without any other DB's on it ). Is this true?

I guess the Microsoft Support can be compromised if the SP DB instance has other DB's on it. Is this true?

If so, what if those other databases belong to Microsoft products (Skype for Business in my case)?

I also appreciate links to Microsoft docs that made that statement so I can point it out to IT.

Thank you so much,

JD

Thursday, April 27, 2017 1:51 PM

All replies

• Since SharePoint configures the instance defaults in specific ways it is usually a good idea not to use the same DB instance for other database applications. But there is no specific rule against it.  I'm also not aware of any specific documents that reference that as a recommendation.   Its just common sense.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 6:55 PM
  • SharePoint sets MAXDOP to 1. This may cause performance impacts for non-SharePoint databases as the query cannot spread across multiple CPUs. If this isn't an issue, then beyond resource allocation (CPU, memory, disk), you can certainly place non-SharePoint databases on the same SQL Server instance.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 7:04 PM
  • Hi JD,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Victoria

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 09, 2017 1:17 PM