Can I reinstall or repair Windows Media Center in Vista Home Premium? RRS feed

• Question

• I suddenly cannot get Windows Media Center to work on my Vista Home Premium system.  It opens OK, but when I try to play anything, I get "A necessary component of Windows Media Center is not available. Please restart Windows Media Center".  Restarting does nothing to solve the problem.  I've tried all the suggestions listed here:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistasetup/thread/fce16d1e-d5ae-4ac9-9418-d96edfcb8d7d/

with no success.  Sfc /scannow reveals no problems with any files.  Reregistering various DLLs hasn't helped either, as it does with Media Player.  I've also ensured all WMC related services are running in Control Panel.  If MS would at leats tell me what component is not available maybe I could figure this mess out, but as usual, no details are provided.

Any suggestions, anyone?
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 10:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Buddha,

I would like to suggest a rebuild of the Media Center data store.

To do a rebuild of the data store:
    • To do this, follow these steps:  
    •  Click Start ,
    • Type “run” in the Start Search box, and then
    • Click Run in the Programs list.
    • If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue . 
    • In the Open box, type %systemdrive%\programdata\microsoft\ehome
    • Click OK . 
    • In the details pane, right-click “mediacenterdatastore.db” , and then
    • Click Delete . 
    • Click Yes to confirm that you want to move the "Mediacenterdatastore.db" file to the Recycle Bin. 
    • Start Windows Media Center.

Hope this works

Good Luck

Neo22
    • Edited by Neo22 Thursday, December 31, 2009 10:41 PM incresed font size
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 10:40 PM
  • I've tried that before, but since you suggested it, I tried it again just now.  I still get the same results, and naturally MS decided not to specify what is not available.  That would make too much sense.

MS suggestion, as it always is with any problem of any type, is to check that all updates have been applied to my system.  They have, but I believe that's just a catchall MS uses because they're too arrogant to take time to help out a regular user, unless of course they can charge for it.

Thanx for your suggestion anyway.

Buddha
    Friday, January 1, 2010 1:08 AM
  • I had a problem with WMP, I could not open WMP at all. However, I found I could open it if I logged on as another user. There is the problem, it's a corrupted user profile that is causing the problem.

Microsoft has a fix to repair a corrupted user profile here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

I repaired the profile, and now I can open WMP.

MrRMC2011

MCDST

Saturday, February 26, 2011 6:47 PM
  • If that can be of some help. I followed the instructions here  and my media center is working as a charm. So far so good 
    Friday, May 23, 2014 11:00 PM
  • I have a problem with WMC working in my Vista Home Premium. It has worked for 6 years (Hauppauge TV Tuner). Recently, I stupidly setup my new bluray player to access my PC. That was the end of that. While it could access my PC, my WMC could no longer access the internet. I found out 6 years ago that WMC isn't really a full media center in that it can only access one video program. That meant that the new webcam I bought wouldn't work. (Thanks Microsoft for everything you do for yourself at the cost of your customers.)

I have no problem with WMP. I have no problem listening to CDs through WMC. The only problem is with the videos. My tuner works as I am able to use the software (WinTV) that came with it. I don't mind using the program but there are many times that I prefer WMC, typically because I am able to set reminders, which I cannot do with WinTV. The problem is that WMC cannot connect to the internet. When I try to setup the Internet Connection, it recognizes it but will give me an error on the password screen. It comes back that my password is incorrect, which it is not. If you look on your forums you will see that this is a common problem so it is not something wrong with my PC. It is also a problem with other OS - Win7, for example. It is also the same problem for different routers, meaning it is not a router issue.

Because WMC cannot connect, it cannot get the information for the guide and the entire WMC-Video becomes defunct. It seems as though it should be an easy and quick fix - Microsoft should be able to get this out immediately. Failing that, the least MS could do is to enable us to uninstall/disable WMC and then reinstall a clean copy.

Oh, if only Microsoft cared enough to do their jobs....

Friday, August 22, 2014 6:29 PM
  • I don't know if I replied to this and it just isn't posted yet so I'll chance a double post just to be able to move on. I'm hoping my post will help anyone else with this problem as I spent several weeks and hours looking for a solution.

I'll preface this by saying the solution did NOT come to me through Microsoft - with all of the forums and the hundreds of threads I read on this problem, and it was a problem with many error messages pertaining to the same error, no one from MS that bothered to respond seemed to have any idea of what they were supposed to have been reading. Like many other CS desks, they were following a very narrow set of instructions on what to tell CUSTOMERS about how to fix problems with their product. I saw instructions that were 20 steps or more. I saw 1 step to run a simple DOS command to fix it (most comments were that this didn't work so don't know why it was thrown out there so often). 

Today, after submitting my post and continuing my search, I found an article to fix Win7 WMC. While I have Vista, seemed like I could give it a try. It was easy and it fixed it right off.

http://bjdraw.com/2010/05/29/how-to-reset-windows-7-media-center/

I just cannot understand how ANYONE at MS could not know to do this! How could anyone working a customer service desk not have enough knowledge of the product to know that the eHome folder could be emptied and rebuilt? This whole mess has just reinforced my dislike of all things Microsoft. Unfortunately, MS has been allowed to invade every home and, if you want to use most software available, well, there you are....

I hope that anyone else that has this trouble is able to find my post and to check out the link above. A beautifully simple solution for a nasty bit of MS WMC.

Friday, August 22, 2014 11:46 PM