Couldn't launch application repeating error RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed the x64 App-v client on my Windows 7 x64 box, along with Virtual Office 2010.  Every 15 min or so, I get an "Application Virtualization Error".  I am not trying to launch anything when this error appears, but it tells me "The specified application does not exist".... Error code: 4605F3-0B211204-00000A09

I have checked both the Virutalapp.log and vapplauncher.log files and neither of them log anything when this happens.  The error will continue to stack as well.  Thanks for the help :)

Monday, May 24, 2010 4:09 PM

Answers

• I discovered what the problem was.  When installing the the offvirt.msi with proxies on the clients... I had the names of the proxies incorrect.  I was following an independent app-v blog post along with the Microsoft write up about virtualizing Office 2010... there is some descrepences between the outlines, and I had copy and pasted some text that apparently is incorrect, not realizing that the names while running the offvirt install and the names of the proxy applications themselves when sequencing need to be exactly the same.

I changed the names for the offvirt install, re-ran everything and now it is working fine....  Sorry for all of the run around, but thanks for the help. :)

• Marked as answer by BigPappaJ Tuesday, June 29, 2010 9:43 PM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 9:43 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Something must be invoking an application (probably bypassing the vapplauncher) - I would suggest you would look into what is currently active on your computer to identify the component.

/Znack

Monday, May 24, 2010 4:45 PM
  • I can shutdown all virtual applications running... and use the information bar to close the app-v client... and something is still trying to launch an app-v application apparently... any idea what this might be, or where I might look to find out?  Any other logs besides the 2 I have mentioned?
    Monday, May 24, 2010 6:09 PM
  • Hello,

I would start using task manager to identify what is running and if more indepth information is needed Process Explorer can be used.

If both those doesn't lead you anywhere you can start looking into process monitor and verify what is going on in the background.

/Znack

Monday, May 24, 2010 6:17 PM
  • Hmm... the only thing that ProcMon shows me is that the process is linked to sfttray.exe... which outlook.exe (Virtual) is a child process of.  Each of the windows doesn't show as another process, they all just say they are part of sfttray.exe.
    Monday, May 24, 2010 8:24 PM
  • If you open the App-V client console (SFTCMC.MSC) you should see the application or package that is running under the Package Status column. That should help you narrow down which package is executing.
    Monday, May 24, 2010 8:55 PM
  • Just realized that this could happen with a less than perfect deployment of the app-v deployment kit for office 2010 / outlook 2010 running... just as an example...

Suppose a few more of the integrations could go bad... 

/Znack

Monday, May 24, 2010 9:00 PM
  • This appears to only happen when Outlook 2010 is launched... no other product does it.  When I launch outlook in safe mode... it doesn't happen.  Disabling all of the COM Plugins except for Exchange doesn't seem to help.  As soon as I launch outlook not in safe mode, the message pops up.  Any idea what in the deployment could be going wrong?

This also seems to happen after I launch Outlook 2007 as well.  I have Office 2007 installed on the machine, and 2010 Virtualized on it.

Also worth noteing would be that this doesn't happen on my test Windows XP box.  Office 2010 was sequenced on a 32bit Windows XP box.

Monday, May 24, 2010 9:50 PM
  • I was just able to replicate this in a fresh Windows 7 x64 VM... so it would appear something is wrong with either my install of the app-v kit for office... or the sequencing of it.  I was pretty sure I followed Microsoft's instructions to the letter... but perhaps not, Ill have to take another look at it.
    Monday, May 24, 2010 10:41 PM
  • I went back through the Microsoft Document on sequencing Office 2010 and couldn't come up with anything I did wrong.  All I can think of is that perhaps I would just need to sequence this on a x64 machine for the x64 deployments.  I have noticed that the "Mail (Outlook 2010)" cpl object that it places in the control panel produces that error if you try to launch it on any system.
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 3:08 PM
  • Hello,

Taking in account the prescriptive guidance document which contains the following statement;

Microsoft Office 2010 volume SKU (32-bit or 64-bit): Proxies are not supported on 64-bit versions of Microsoft Office 2010.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983462

I would assume that such a behavior could occur on a 64-bit system - just guessing thats why they are not supporting it.
    (since you seem to have deployed the proxies - such as the Control Panel integration).

/Znack

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 3:37 PM
  • I did happen to see that, but I'm using the 32 bit version of Office.  You think that this might be happening simply because Win7 is x64?
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 3:46 PM
  • Ahh, yet another clue :P

Thought that you were using the 64-bit version of office, since you were deploying to x64 win7.

Compare whats laid down on your XP-system compared to the Win7-system when using the deployment kit proxies and locate any differences.

/Znack

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 4:09 PM
  • Where would I look to check this... is there a central location you had in mind?  They are both VM's so I can do the install of the Office V-kit rather easily.
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:16 PM
  • Hello,

I would use a snapshoting software - typically I use wise or process monitor.

/Znack
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:23 PM
  • So you want me to compare differences when installing the office app-v kit how I install it with proxies and all.  Differences between the WinXP and Win7 boxes when just that is installed?  Sorry, just making sure I get this all right.
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:25 PM
  • Hello,

Yeah - since you say its working on one (would give you a baseline of what something should look like) and not the other (would then show you what it the problematic machine looks like). 

If its the deployment kit - something should be different.

/Znack
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:42 PM
  • It would appear to me they are the same...

Interestingly the messages for the last 36 hours that I had been getting on my Win7 box have stopped.  I used to get them about every 15-20 min... but they have stopped.  I have no idea what I did, or what has changed...

Machine restarts hadn't had an effect on the popups... and no real server changes were made in relation to App-v or configmgr...

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 6:31 PM
  • Well perhaps not fixed... after 2 and a half days of nothing... I just got another pop up... I'm so lost.

I'm starting to think that with large products such as Office, or adobe suites it might be best to sequence them on the architecture they will used on... I know it should work sequencing everything on 32 bit... but experience with things like this tells me otherwise.

Thursday, May 27, 2010 10:09 PM
  • I was finally able to track down the actual error message.  and the program that isn't launching.

[06/28/2010 08:09:37:779 AMGR ERR] {tid=1374:usr=jbergman}

The Application Virtualization Client cannot open Proxy Virtual Search Host 

[06/28/2010 08:09:37:905 TRAY ERR] {tid=1374:usr=jbergman}

The Application Virtualization Client could not launch the application you requested.

The specified application does not exist. Check the name you specified, and then try again.

Error code: 4605F3-0B211204-00000A09

Trying to launch one of the proxy programs you install when sequencing office.  Now I need to see about finding out why its happening on only windows 7 boxes.  Any ideas would be welcome.  Thanks!

Monday, June 28, 2010 3:24 PM
  • Hello,

It seems that there is a version-number missing. Shouldn't it be Proxy Virtual Search Host XXXXX?

/Znack
    Monday, June 28, 2010 3:50 PM
  • ha, not sure if it should be or not... I checked the log again and it doesn't have a version number.  Its version is the same as all the other programs and proxies though, as I set them all per the instructions from Microsoft as the same when sequencing.
    Monday, June 28, 2010 3:59 PM
  • I re-sequenced Office, DID NOT INSTALL the virtual search host application... meaning I skipped this step:

1. On the Configure Applications page, select the Applications root directory.
    2. Click Add, and add the following applications: 
      Note To quickly locate the path, click Browse and copy and paste the Application Path into theFile name field
    Instant Search (Virtual Search Host)
    Application Path%commonprogramfiles%\microsoft shared\virtualization handler\VirtualSearchHost.exe
    Name: Specify a name. The default name is "Search MAPI Protocol Handler Host."

I did not include the Virtual Search host proxy when installing offvirt on my test machine.... so I left out:
    VIRTUALSEARCHHOST=”Search MAPI Protocol Handler Host” 

After uninstalling everything from my Win7 machine, I reinstalled the app-v client, then re-ran the office 2010 virtual app pack, leaving out the above line for the virtual search host... then re-installed the newly sequenced Office 2010 with the Virtual Search host application not added to the package.

THERE ERROR STILL SHOWS UP:

[06/29/2010 08:41:14:222 AMGR ERR] {tid=1C78:usr=jbergman}
    The Application Virtualization Client cannot open Virtual Search Host 

[06/29/2010 08:41:14:267 TRAY ERR] {tid=1C78:usr=jbergman}
    The Application Virtualization Client could not launch the application you requested.

The specified application does not exist. Check the name you specified, and then try again.

Is there something I missed in relation to not including this proxy in the Office install??

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:46 PM
  • I just now noticed I also recieve this error when trying to launch the Virtual Mail cpl proxy:

[06/29/2010 09:15:40:013 AMGR ERR] {tid=1324:usr=jbergman}

The Application Virtualization Client cannot open Proxy Virtual Mail Cpl 

[06/29/2010 09:15:40:045 TRAY ERR] {tid=1324:usr=jbergman}

I wonder if there is something I am doing wrong with the proxies....? or if maybe they are just broke in Win7, although they are supposed to work.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 4:18 PM
  • Try this with quotes;
    PACKAGEVERSION=14.0.4763.1000 

or without when deploying the proxies...

If it doesn't change anything (of course as an elevated admin..) submit it to MS.

/Znack

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:19 PM
  • I discovered what the problem was.  When installing the the offvirt.msi with proxies on the clients... I had the names of the proxies incorrect.  I was following an independent app-v blog post along with the Microsoft write up about virtualizing Office 2010... there is some descrepences between the outlines, and I had copy and pasted some text that apparently is incorrect, not realizing that the names while running the offvirt install and the names of the proxy applications themselves when sequencing need to be exactly the same.

I changed the names for the offvirt install, re-ran everything and now it is working fine....  Sorry for all of the run around, but thanks for the help. :)

• Marked as answer by BigPappaJ Tuesday, June 29, 2010 9:43 PM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 9:43 PM
  • Hi BigPappaJ, I'm having a very similar issue to you but I’m getting a slightly different error message/code as per below, it occasionally happens when I launch Outlook 2010 and also happens every time I try to load the Mail (Microsoft Outlook 2010) control panel object.

Can you recall what proxie names you’d incorrectly used? I’ve also used a mixture of an independent blog and the MS recipes; I’m installing 32 Bit Office 2010 on 32 Bit Windows 7. I’m using the standalone client streaming the applications from a file share.

I’m installing the following proxies on the client:

msiexec /i \\server_share_name\OffVirt.msi PIDKEYS="XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX" USEROPERATIONS=1

then

msiexec /i \\ server_share_name \OffVirt.msi ADDDEFAULT=Click2runOneNoteProxy,Click2runOutlookProxies,Click2runWDSProxy,Click2runOWSSuppProxies PACKAGEGUID={0A5FD517-0895-4385-AAFF-4E0B47E7B98C} PACKAGEVERSION=14.0.4755.1000 OUTLOOKNAME="Microsoft Outlook 2010" ONENOTENAME="Microsoft OneNote 2010" MAPISERVER="Microsoft Virtual Office Simple Mapi Proxy Server" VIRTUALSEARCHHOST="Search MAPI Protocol Handler Host" MLCFG32CPL="Windows Control Panel" OWSSUPPServer="Microsoft SharePoint Client Support Manager"

The Application Virtualisation Client could not launch the application you requested.

Error code: 4604EE8-0B211204-00000A09

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Stephen.

Friday, January 7, 2011 2:35 PM
  • Hello Stephen,

I suggest you create your own-thread to receive an answer. 

/Znack
    Friday, January 7, 2011 2:49 PM