How can I delete system administrator rights in my laptop? RRS feed

• Question

• Every time I try to delete the Browsing History in my laptop computer, I have this message: "Some settings are managed by your system administrator."

How can I delete this settings?

I have never set up a system administrator in my computer, better said, I'm the owner.

Once, a while ago, I took my laptop computer to my work place and connected it in the network of my work and used there for a couple of weeks. Just wondering if that affected in any way some of my rights?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 7:14 PM

All replies

• It sounds like you joined the computer to the domain at work, which means group policy settings are enforced. "Some settings are managed by your system administrator" is the message you get when a group policy setting is controlling something.

So the first step would be to disjoin it from the domain (System control panel, click Change on the Computer Name tab, and change it from Domain to Workgroup. You can specify any name for the workgroup, "WORKGROUP" works fine.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 7:55 PM
  • If it is not part of a domain it may just have a local policy configured.  I'm assuming if you don't what this is you don't know how to join your computer to their domain.  So I would assume it's a local policy.  Did you install any software from your IT department like an install or update of IE from them?

I'll try to post some detailed instructions later, but basically you open the MMC while logged on as an Admin.  Click start run type MMC and hit enter.  Than click file in the top left and add/remove snapin and select group policy and than local.  Than you have to find the IE settings and remove/select not configured on the ones that are blocking you from making this change.

Is this XP, Vista or Win7?

Dave - http://www.dms-itconsulting.com
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:23 AM