none
MS Project Pro file on Project Server 2010 does not accept [No Group] selection when clicking on Group view RRS feed

• Question

• MS Project Server 2010 gives me the following error when I try to click on the [No Group] group:

Error message:

The group "" cannot be found. You tried to display a view that references a group that is not available.

Specify a different group for the view."

Note: When I look at the drop downlist for the Group on the View Ribbon, [No Group] appears in the Built-in section of the list. It also appears on the Organizer.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:03 PM

Answers

• Michael --

Well, guess what, my friend?  I opened an enterprise project yesterday in Project Server 2010, and this project has EXACTLY the same problem that you have!  I was not able to fix it using any of the methods I suggested to you in my previous posts, so instead, I sent an e-mail message to my Microsoft MVP contacts within the Project Server development team about this problem.  One of my contacts replied almost immediately.  He told me that this is a known bug and it is fixed in the December 2013 Cumulative Update for the Microsoft Project 2010 desktop client.  So, I would recommend that you download and install the December 2013 CU as soon as you can.  And after doing so, please let us know if this resolves the problem for you.  Because of corporate restrictions on installing SPs and CUs at my employer, I will not be able to test this for you.  So, please let us know the results.  Thanks.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, January 31, 2014 3:51 PM

All replies

• Michael W --

I have seen this error message several times when the project got corrupted due to drops in my network connection while the enterprise project was open.  If memory serves me correctly, the method for resolving this problem is to use the Save For Sharing feature.  To do this, complete the following steps:

• Add the Save for Sharing button to your Quick Access Toolbar, if you have not already done so previously.  Use the Project Options dialog for this.
      • Open the project in question and click the Save for Sharing button.
      • In the Save for Sharing dialog, save the MPP file in a location where you can find it easily, such as your Desktop.
      • Close the MPP file and then reopen it.
      • Click File > Save As and then click the Save button.

Using this process, Microsoft Project will resolve the corruption in your project.  Please let us know if this process works for you.

• Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, January 23, 2014 9:19 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Thank you for your reply. I followed your steps a few time, but unfortunately it did not resolve the corrupted file. The "Group by" view is still blank and when I click on [No Group], I still get the same error. Is there a way to rebuilt this view or is there something else I should try?

Michael

Thursday, January 23, 2014 10:56 PM
  • Michael --

Are you having this problem with the Gantt Chart view, by chance?  If so, please try this:

1. Open the project in question.
    2. Apply any resource view, such as the Resource Sheet view.
    3. Click File > Info > Manage Global Template > Organizer.
    4. On the left side of the Organizer dialog, select the Gantt Chart view.
    5. Click the Copy button.
    6. When prompted to overwrite the current Gantt Chart view, click the Yes button.
    7. Click the Close button.

Does this solve the problem?  Also, if the problem is NOT with the Gantt Chart view, exactly WHICH view is causing the problem?  Is it a default view or a custom view?  Please let us know and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, January 23, 2014 11:26 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Yes, I have having this issue on the Gantt chart view as well as all other views (local to the file and Enterprise views) (eg. Task Usage, Resource Usage, Gantt, etc.). On most the of the views that are missing the [No Group], the are also missing the [No Filter] value as well.
    FYI, I followed your steps above and it didn't fix the Gantt Chart view. For whatever reason MS Project things that in this file that the [No Group] and [No Filter] are under the Custom section instead of the built in section of the dropdown menu.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 11:38 PM
  • Michael --

Well, guess what, my friend?  I opened an enterprise project yesterday in Project Server 2010, and this project has EXACTLY the same problem that you have!  I was not able to fix it using any of the methods I suggested to you in my previous posts, so instead, I sent an e-mail message to my Microsoft MVP contacts within the Project Server development team about this problem.  One of my contacts replied almost immediately.  He told me that this is a known bug and it is fixed in the December 2013 Cumulative Update for the Microsoft Project 2010 desktop client.  So, I would recommend that you download and install the December 2013 CU as soon as you can.  And after doing so, please let us know if this resolves the problem for you.  Because of corporate restrictions on installing SPs and CUs at my employer, I will not be able to test this for you.  So, please let us know the results.  Thanks.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, January 31, 2014 3:51 PM
  • I had a PM with this issue this morning. I am happy to report that the December update (KB2849984) resolved the issue.

Thursday, April 10, 2014 12:21 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Sorry it has taken so long on this one for me to follow-up. We just installed SP2 and the Feb 2014 CU and the issue/bug has gone away!

Thank you for your help.

Michael

Friday, April 11, 2014 3:38 PM