Problems with windows Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have ran into an issue with explorer that I have been unble to fix. Explorer opens a new window for any folder I click open on, First I have checked the settings under folders and made sure the selection to open in same window is selected.  I even tried Windows 7 manager and also made sure that  any option to open a new window was disabled.  Still it opens on window for each folder, IE does not open a new tab for any of the links I click in it.
    Anyone know where the registry entry for this function is placed, or how I can fix this issue?

Any help is appreciated,
    running Eval Copy 7100

Glenn
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 8:09 PM

All replies

• Glenn,

Ensure that "open each Explorer window in a separate process" isn't checked in the Folder Options menu - this will override all other settings.
    -Alex
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:17 AM
  • Alex,

Yes, I did make sure that the selection is "Open each folder in the same window".   I went in and verified again that is what is selected

Glenn
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:28 AM
  • Glenn,

Oops, my fault - I meant to point you towards "launch folder windows in a separate process" in the View tab. Double-check that one for me.
    -Alex
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:15 PM
  • I checked that one as well, it is not selected and I selected saved and deselected to make sure.

Glenn

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:22 PM
  • IE 8  Tools>Internet Options>Tabs let you set the behavior for the tabs. The default behavior is what you want, right?

Hey, why not try the restore defaults button in the folder option dialog box?

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 11:39 PM
  • IE 8  Tools>Internet Options>Tabs let you set the behavior for the tabs. The default behavior is what you want, right?

Hey, why not try the restore defaults button in the folder option dialog box?

No, this is not an IE problem, it is a Windows Explorer problem.  IE is fine

Glenn
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:23 AM
  • " Still it opens on window for each folder, IE does not open a new tab for any of the links I click in it."

You said IE in your original post and Win Explorer.

Still have the Win Explorer issue?
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 10:03 PM
  • Sheesh, forum did not take my first reply.  The sentence you pointed out should have said "IE does NOT have any issues, it always opens another tab when I click on the link:".
    I apoligize for that mistake, the only problem is that Win Explorer WILL NOT open any drive, or directory in the Same window.  IT ALWAYS opens a new window when I click on any links inside of Win Explorer.  I have reset the defaults, deselected, rebooted, reselected the, "open in same window option",  to no avail.
    I was hoping someone could point me to the Registry store for this setting, to see if it is being written to and saved, or not.

Glenn
    Monday, June 29, 2009 4:28 PM
  • ganicholson,

Have you checked the 'Launch folder windows in a separate process' option? If you go to the folder options and click on the 'View' tab, it's on the list.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:58 AM
    Answerer
  • I'm having the same problem with Win Explorer, and I've gone through the same steps to try and solve the problem. Additionally, I am having an IE problem. When I ctrl+click a link to open it in a new tab, the tab is launched, but the page does not load. I have to stop the load and refresh it to get the page. I've checked IE settings and reven reset them all without solving the problem. Is it possible the problems are related?

Philip
    • Proposed as answer by Philip Daye Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:13 AM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 3:53 AM
  • Reading futher in the forum, I found a solution in another thread: If you have the McAfee beta installed, uninstall the MVT (Mcaffe Virtual Technician). This solved both of the problems I was having. Hope this helps.
    • Proposed as answer by Philip Daye Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:16 AM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:16 AM
  • I answered this in the first post I believe, NO it is not checked. Now this is as far as win7 displays, it may be that in the registry, it shows enabled, but have not been able to find where that information is stored.

Glenn
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:30 PM
  • I'm having the same problem with Win Explorer, and I've gone through the same steps to try and solve the problem. Additionally, I am having an IE problem. When I ctrl+click a link to open it in a new tab, the tab is launched, but the page does not load. I have to stop the load and refresh it to get the page. I've checked IE settings and reven reset them all without solving the problem. Is it possible the problems are related?

Philip

I have had this issue with IE8 as well, but it only happens in XP or vista.  Win7 does not seem to have that issue on mine

glenn
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:31 PM
  • I have NO antivirus installed on this system, NO spyware or adware checker either. 

Glenn

P.S.  I do not have any infections of any kind on the system, I regularly scan it but I do not install the tools on the machine
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:33 PM
  • Just ran into another issue with Win7 NOT holding the login info.  ANY site that uses my login will NOT save that information so I do not have to login everytime I open IE8.  XP does not do this, Vista with IE8 did not do this.  I can only surmise that the problem with WINDOWS EXPLORER and IE8 are related in some way.  Is anyone from microsoft reading this???????????

Glenn
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 2:22 PM