none
Error trying to assign user to a Department and/or Security Group RRS feed

• Question

• I am running PS2010.  I needed to set the Department for a user and add another Security Group for them because of a role change.  I'm using Server Settings, Manage Users like I always have and selected the correct values from the drop downs on the user's page.  When I save, I get an error. The error is "The resource could not be saved due to the following reasons.  An unknown error has occurred."   I have tried several other users and I've tried just changing one attribute at a time but I always get this error.  Since there isn't an error # provided, I'm not sure where to start other than a system restart.  I would appreciate any thoughts on where to go on this one.  We have 8 people who are waiting to get going so I need to get this fixed pronto.

Thanks,

Walter

Walter
    Monday, July 11, 2011 12:33 PM

Answers

• Paul, Thanks for your reply. I'll have the system adminisrators check on Dynamic compression setting.  In the interim, we decided to restart the servers and something in that process took care of the issue.  Perhaps someone had turned Dynamic compression on and its now off.  No way to know yet.  I don't have system admin privs so I have to get others to do the checking.

Walter

Walter
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 11:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Walter,

I have seen Dynamic compression in IIS cause this before, you could try disabling it at the server level, do an IISReset then re-test? If you want to test this, open Internet Information Services Manager on the Application Server, click on the Server name, then in the centre window click Compression in the IIS section, uncheck the box for "Enable Dynamic Content Compression" then click Apply in the action pane. Restart IIS then restest. Please note, if this is a shared server, making this change will affect all applications that use IIS. You can always reverse this change after testing.

Apart from that, what error do you see in the ULS logs on the application Server? Do you get the same erorr when creating new users or only existing users?

Thanks

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com
    Monday, July 11, 2011 12:56 PM
  • Paul, Thanks for your reply. I'll have the system adminisrators check on Dynamic compression setting.  In the interim, we decided to restart the servers and something in that process took care of the issue.  Perhaps someone had turned Dynamic compression on and its now off.  No way to know yet.  I don't have system admin privs so I have to get others to do the checking.

Walter

Walter
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 11:39 AM
  • Hi Walter, Dynamic compression used to be an issue for 2007, but 2010 works just fine with it set to on.  Glad the restart resolved things for you but not sure what was breaking it.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:14 PM
    Owner