none
Add Office 2010 KMS key to existing kms host server RRS feed

• Question

• I am running a 2008 standard server for a kms server. I would like to use it for office 2010 activiation also. Can my 2008 standard have a windows and an office key or must I use another server or use Server 2008 R2?

How is this done?

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 2:00 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately WS 2008 is not supported as an Office 2010 KMS host.  This thread has more info... if you're using Server 2008 R2 (or another supported OS), then one box can activate both Windows and Office clients.  You'll have to enter your Windows KMS host key, activate it, run the Office 2010 KMS host license pack, and follow the instructions to activate the Office KMS host key.  Then your Server 2008 R2 machine can activate both Windows and Office.

If your WS 2008 box must remain, then you can run a WS 2003, W7, or WS 2008 R2 VM on it as your Office KMS host.  Otherwise, you can set up another machine as your Office KMS host.  As long as you're using KMS host auto-discovery on DNS, and this new KMS host has a proper entry, then you will not need to do anything special on the client to find the KMS host.

Ted Way [MSFT], Program Manager, Microsoft Office: Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:00 AM
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 9:24 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately WS 2008 is not supported as an Office 2010 KMS host.  This thread has more info... if you're using Server 2008 R2 (or another supported OS), then one box can activate both Windows and Office clients.  You'll have to enter your Windows KMS host key, activate it, run the Office 2010 KMS host license pack, and follow the instructions to activate the Office KMS host key.  Then your Server 2008 R2 machine can activate both Windows and Office.

If your WS 2008 box must remain, then you can run a WS 2003, W7, or WS 2008 R2 VM on it as your Office KMS host.  Otherwise, you can set up another machine as your Office KMS host.  As long as you're using KMS host auto-discovery on DNS, and this new KMS host has a proper entry, then you will not need to do anything special on the client to find the KMS host.

Ted Way [MSFT], Program Manager, Microsoft Office: Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:00 AM
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 9:24 PM

Ted

I also am running my KMS server for my windows 7 clients on WS 2008.  Do I  need to move that KMS server to a WS 2008 R2 for KMS or can I add a second KMS server for Office 2010 and DNS will know the difference between the 2 and direct Office 2010 clients to the proper server as the first KMS continues to service the OS?

Thursday, February 3, 2011 8:56 PM
  • Hi Jeff, you can just add a second KMS host for Office 2010.  You will not need to move your Windows KMS host over.  This thread explains what happens as clients try to find the KMS host.  Clients will activate eventually:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officevolact/thread/50ba53c7-d817-4d55-b7f1-9a18994211e6

However, if you're setting up a WS 2008 R2 box as your KMS host, you may easily configure it to activate both Windows and Office.  Just install your Windows KMS host key and activate it.  Follow the instructions for the Office KMS host license pack.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 9:50 AM
  • if i already have office 2010 professional kms server that works fine do i need new kms key to activate office 2010 standart?
    Monday, April 8, 2013 7:40 PM