none
Protect baseline in project 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello¡¡¡

Currently I have installed professional project as a client on my computer. We don't work with online or server, we work only with ms project.

Is there any way to protect the baseline for that project managers can't edit this baseline?

A macro?
    Additional settings?

Thanks,

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 10:13 PM

Answers

• Alex,

The standard answer for this question is no, there is no way to keep users from changing any data as long as they have write access.

The best way to address this issue? Establish ground rules for all users and train them on what they may and may not edit in the file. As a safeguard, develop a set of audit checks to insure everybody is following the rules. That's exactly how we did it. We trained all users and used a set of audit macros to verify no "inadvertent" changes were made but also to insure that changes that should have been made, were made (e.g. status updates).

Assuming you are not using a linked structure (i.e. master with subprojects, or resource pool with sharer files), then doing regular backups will give a starting point if things do "go south".

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by Alex_ aijou Friday, April 29, 2016 3:21 PM
    Thursday, April 28, 2016 2:06 AM

All replies

• Alex,

The standard answer for this question is no, there is no way to keep users from changing any data as long as they have write access.

The best way to address this issue? Establish ground rules for all users and train them on what they may and may not edit in the file. As a safeguard, develop a set of audit checks to insure everybody is following the rules. That's exactly how we did it. We trained all users and used a set of audit macros to verify no "inadvertent" changes were made but also to insure that changes that should have been made, were made (e.g. status updates).

Assuming you are not using a linked structure (i.e. master with subprojects, or resource pool with sharer files), then doing regular backups will give a starting point if things do "go south".

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by Alex_ aijou Friday, April 29, 2016 3:21 PM
    Thursday, April 28, 2016 2:06 AM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for your reply, all views are good, I've been trying with macro option and I think I have partially solved using the following event:

Private Sub MyMSPApplication_ProjectBeforeTaskChange(ByVal tsk As Task, ByVal Field As PjField, ByVal NewVal As Variant, Cancel As Boolean)
        If Field = pjTaskBaselineWork Then
            MsgBox "Don't touch baseline in this project...", vbCritical, "Protected field!"
            Cancel = True
        End If
    End Sub

I will continue analyzing this.
    regards,
    Alex from Colombia

Friday, April 29, 2016 3:21 PM
  • Alex,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. Well, you macro is a start but keep in mind that if a user resets the baseline, the macro won't fire. Again, training is the best option with come audit functions to insure compliance and catch inadvertent edits.

John

Friday, April 29, 2016 4:13 PM