system groups in FCS RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Folks,

I browsed the forum a bit and didn't see an answer to the issue I have.

We are going to implement FCS fairly soon, but are faced with a "interesting" situation where due to a very diverse budgeting scenario we will have to use several WSUS servers, each tied to it's own dept. So while discussing our

rollout with one of the admins of another WSUS server, he asked how the systems being managed by FCS would be grouped in the FCS console and SQL web reporting. (We'll setup the WSUS admins with SQL reporting rights to FCS)

In our test enviroment, We currently have two OUs setup with different polices applied, one for Servers and one for Workstations, but in the FCS console we just have a single group of systems, servers and workstaion all combined.

Is there some way to define groups by OU so that we can make reporting and management more compartmentilized?

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 10:04 PM

All replies

• FCS is built on MOM Reporting Services and this does not have the ability be to compartmentilized.

if you are willing to discuss you environment and give some more details i'll be more then willing to help you with your architecture design so it will fit your organizational needs.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 1:57 AM
  • Hi,

One of the things i've done for this before is to deploy a policy based on the OU

What you can then do from there in the reporting section is have a report dedicated to a policy, when you expand the report options, many of them offer a drop down for targetting a policy

That way the report is only relevant to the policy. We then setup a load of SQL reporting services subscriptions and emailed the relevant people the reports they wanted

cheers

chris

Thursday, February 7, 2008 11:29 AM
  • Thanks for replying guys. Chris, that sounds good, we'll try it tomorrow.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 10:33 PM
  • building multiple GPO policies has been very effective in my orginzations global roleout.  we can see country by country what is going on.  you can certainly configure different GPO for desktops, laptops & servers with different GPo to get a similar result

Friday, February 8, 2008 5:02 AM