Outlook 2016 Credentials Prompt since Version 1708 8431.2079 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Since the last Office 2016 patch our entire company gets prompts every time they open Outlook and any email attachment. Microsoft is trying to connect to their cloud and creates local crentential even though I have an on prem Exchange 2010 server.

If I go back to the prior build it fixes the issue so I know it's an issue with the latest build. But this is nbot a solution as I have PCI compliance to adhere too and must keep my applications within 30 days of their latest build so I need a prompt resolution to this. I've been through all the bogus troubleshooting so please don't say try this or that.

I've seen similar posts but some peope have marked answer's but I know they haven't fixed the problems. Is M$ aware of this issue and working on it?

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 4:44 PM

All replies

• Well it's not 30 days yet, but this has been reported. Don't know if Microsoft is doing anything about it though.
    Wednesday, October 4, 2017 4:56 PM
  • Do you know if there's a report post for reference?

I've stumbled upon something. Since the September office update when I create Outlook profiles they are assigned as (mydomain).local, and they don't have any issues. But any accounts created before the updates that are having the issues are all(mydomain).com. for some reason this is prompting Outlook to go online to try syncing with office.com which they do not have our account info as we're using a local mail server and not Microshafts..

• Edited by Teh0WN3R Thursday, October 5, 2017 4:10 PM
    Thursday, October 5, 2017 2:00 PM
  • Hi,

>>Since the September office update when I create Outlook profiles they are assigned as (mydomain).local, and they don't have any issues.<<

What do you mean about it? Do you mean your mailbox email address is changed to mydomain.local when you setup it in Outlook 2016?

If possible, would you mind to provide any screenshot about your credential prompt issue here for more information? 

>>this is prompting Outlook to go online to try syncing with office.com which they do not have our account info as we're using a local mail server and not Microshafts..<<

Also collect this prompted Windows here. We would help to determine which steps is used for Office.com sync.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 6, 2017 8:57 AM
  • Hi,

>>Since the September office update when I create Outlook profiles they are assigned as (mydomain).local, and they don't have any issues.<<

What do you mean about it? Do you mean your mailbox email address is changed to mydomain.local when you setup it in Outlook 2016?

If possible, would you mind to provide any screenshot about your credential prompt issue here for more information? 

>>this is prompting Outlook to go online to try syncing with office.com which they do not have our account info as we're using a local mail server and not Microshafts..<<

Also collect this prompted Windows here. We would help to determine which steps is used for Office.com sync.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Hello Winnie,

Attached is the Outlook prompt. Why did the Office update in September make changes to try forcing authentication with outlook.office.com? This is a breach of privacy, security concern, and it's causing havoc for all our Office 2016 users!

You can see more about this particular issue with this link: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_win10/outlook-2016-prompting-for-login-credentials-when/d9dd8857-242e-48c8-a34d-27704d2dc25f?auth=1

Here is your requested screenshot of the prompting:

Thank you and please advise,

Larry

• Edited by Teh0WN3R Monday, October 9, 2017 1:05 PM
    Monday, October 9, 2017 12:28 PM
  • To provide some more screenshots, you can see my local credential manager the connection profiles Outlook has made since the September updates:

We connect to a local on prem Exchange server, utiltize no other email client than Outlook, and connect with smtp only, there's no reason for office.com credentials as well as POP credentials. If I delete them the next time I open Outlook and an attachment it recreated them both and prompts for credentials. To further note, under the Office security privacy settings I specifically checked not to allow Office to connect to Microsoft, but this obviously isn't working.

• Edited by Teh0WN3R Monday, October 9, 2017 1:28 PM
    Monday, October 9, 2017 1:17 PM
  • To provide some more screenshots, you can see my local credential manager the connection profiles Outlook has made since the September updates:

We connect to a local on prem Exchange server, utiltize no other email client than Outlook, and connect with smtp only, there's no reason for office.com credentials as well as POP credentials. If I delete them the next time I open Outlook and an attachment it recreated them both and prompts for credentials. To further note, under the Office security privacy settings I specifically checked not to allow Office to connect to Microsoft, but this obviously isn't working.

Thanks for your feedback.

Would you mind to collect your detailed Outlook 2016 version number? Go to File > Account > About Outlook to check it.

I also notice there are some similar issue in TechNet:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/594bbea2-2774-4b27-afc0-cc350a688c33/outlook-2016-prompting-for-login-credentials-when-opening-any-email-attachments?forum=outlook

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_win10/outlook-2016-password-prompt-when-opening/873ba6d1-152f-4280-8495-60f4b61f522c

And someone has submitted the issue with a ticket opened directly in Microsoft other faster support channel. Please focus on it. I will also help to monitor the thread to confirm if there is any updates on this issue.  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 10:04 AM
  • Hello and thanks for replying and providing some information Winnie! Although the two links you provided one has a bgous resolution and the other I'm not so sure about. There's dozens of posts all over and Microsoft once again pushed out a 2nd update since the one that broke Outlook 2016 and it didn't fix the issue, what are they doing?! Microsoft firing their dedicated product testers was the worst thing they've ever done.......

But to answer your question, I'm currently on Office Version 1708 (Build 8431.2107)

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 2:39 PM
  • Hello and thanks for replying and providing some information Winnie! Although the two links you provided one has a bgous resolution and the other I'm not so sure about. There's dozens of posts all over and Microsoft once again pushed out a 2nd update since the one that broke Outlook 2016 and it didn't fix the issue, what are they doing?! Microsoft firing their dedicated product testers was the worst thing they've ever done.......

But to answer your question, I'm currently on Office Version 1708 (Build 8431.2107)

Hi,

Thanks for all your feedbacks.

The issue has been confirmed to be a known issue in Oct 2017 updates. Here is the details:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Fixes-or-workarounds-for-recent-issues-in-Outlook-for-Windows-ecf61305-f84f-4e13-bb73-95a214ac1230

ISSUE        

Outlook 2016 On Premise users are prompted for credentials when opening email attachments. This occurs after updating to Current Channel build 16.0.8431.2079.

Do the following to revert to an earlier build:

1. Open a command prompt window.

<meta content="1" itemprop="position" />          
    2. At the command prompt, run the following commands:

cd %programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun\            

officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.8326.2107

In my side, I am using the Office Insider version 1709 (Build 8528.2074). Tested with Exchange 2010 mailbox in Outlook, there is no issue when open attachments. No credentials prompted.

Therefore, please use the workaround above to revert to an earlier build. Maybe the next update version can fix the issue. Thanks again for your feedback and comments here.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Monday, October 16, 2017 1:49 AM
    •         

Hi,

Thanks for all your feedbacks.

The issue has been confirmed to be a known issue in Oct 2017 updates. Here is the details:
        https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Fixes-or-workarounds-for-recent-issues-in-Outlook-for-Windows-ecf61305-f84f-4e13-bb73-95a214ac1230

ISSUE

Outlook 2016 On Premise users are prompted for credentials when opening email attachments. This occurs after updating to Current Channel build 16.0.8431.2079.

Do the following to revert to an earlier build:

1. Open a command prompt window.

<meta content="1" itemprop="position" />          
    • At the command prompt, run the following commands:

cd %programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun\

officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.8326.2107

In my side, I am using the Office Insider version 1709 (Build 8528.2074). Tested with Exchange 2010 mailbox in Outlook, there is no issue when open attachments. No credentials prompted.

Therefore, please use the workaround above to revert to an earlier build. Maybe the next update version can fix the issue. Thanks again for your feedback and comments here.

Best Regards,
      Winnie Liang

Winnie,

Your supplied work around causes two major problems for us and I'm sure others:

1. It causes the Windows Upload Center not to function properly and I get crashes with Outlook and when trying to open links to office programs on servers/intrnaet/internet.
    2. It will cause our company to become PCI DSS non-compliant as we must be patches up to vendor releases within 30 days.

BTW for reference, currently on Build 8528.2139 and still broken...

• Edited by Teh0WN3R Tuesday, October 17, 2017 1:09 PM
    Tuesday, October 17, 2017 1:05 PM
  • Hello everyone,

for :
    Problem: Outlook 2016 prompting for login credentials when opening any email attachments

We updated to version 1709 (Build 8528.2139 )  using 32 bit  and issue is still happening.

view list of releases here:
    Version and build numbers of update channel releases

Regards,

Javier, VND

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 5:22 PM
  • Hello everyone,

for :
    Problem: Outlook 2016 prompting for login credentials when opening any email attachments

We updated to version 1709 (Build 8528.2139 )  using 32 bit  and issue is still happening.

view list of releases here:
    Version and build numbers of update channel releases

Regards,

Javier, VND

Hello Javier,

I already reported this last week in my post just 1 prior to yours. Microsoft has still not addressed this with a publicly released patch, they obviously don't give a crap about their customers....

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 5:36 PM
  • Now on Office Build 8528.2147 and still occurring!!

Why is Microsoft trying to force us to authenticate to office.com when I should only be syncing to a local email server only?! Is Microsoft trying to capture our email to way they do when users utilize their Outlook.com mobile app software?

• Edited by Teh0WN3R Thursday, October 26, 2017 2:04 PM
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 2:03 PM
  • I also tried going to the latest build of 1710 8625.2064 and ths issue still occurs but the frequency of the credential pop ups goes to just once when opening Outlook but it comes back after relaunching Outlook.

The only bandaid to works for now is creating a dns record to point to your localhost for office.outlook.com

Friday, October 27, 2017 12:59 PM