Sharepoint list & setting the Person/Group field trough a Workflow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I want to assign a Person/User to an item in a list, setting the "assigned to" column through a workflow based on the value from an other column.

I have the Sharepoint user name, ID and e-mail adress avaliable in other columns, and I want to use the workflow to set the "assign to" column based on this, so that I can use the [ME] function to manage the list.

However, using a workflow to paste the user name OR ID OR e-mail into the Assign to column doesn work, like it would if I use the datasheet view and copy in an user name manually ( i guess theres some activeX control running)

Is there a way to configure the string that must be written to the Person/Group field using the Workflow to get it to work? How is the Person/group written in the Database?
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:03 AM

Answers

• Try to the assign the value in the following format:
    domainname\userid

i.e lets say if domain name = ctc and userid = gisly
    then through workflow assign the value as ctc\gisly

The same applies for group names too.

-----

If this doesn't work. Through sharepoint site open up the list, edit the list item assigning a value to the assigned to column. Then try assigning same value thru workflow for a different list item.

Hope this helps!
    Srinivas Varukala
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:07 PM

All replies

• I have a workflow which is doing exactly this.  My workflow runs automatically when a new item is created.  Here is an example of the logic that is working for me:

Condition
    If Region = "Europe"
    and Contract Type = "Type 1"

Action
    Set Assigned To to value

The "value" is a hyperlink which should bring up your list of site users (for me, the users are listed by their id).  If you do not want to specify a specific user, you can use some of the other default settings to get what you want (for example, you can assign the record to the person who created the item).  Just make the appropriate choice and save the workflow. 

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you want to use the [ME] function to manage the list.  You can easily have a view setup which shows all "open" items which are assigned to [Me].  All users who access this view would see records assigned to themselves.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 7:42 PM
  • Try to the assign the value in the following format:
    domainname\userid

i.e lets say if domain name = ctc and userid = gisly
    then through workflow assign the value as ctc\gisly

The same applies for group names too.

-----

If this doesn't work. Through sharepoint site open up the list, edit the list item assigning a value to the assigned to column. Then try assigning same value thru workflow for a different list item.

Hope this helps!
    Srinivas Varukala
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:07 PM