Project 2013 Std. App-V recipe RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am looking for a recipe for sequencing Project 2013 Std. The Office Deployment Toolkit (ODT) does not support volume licensing. If anyone has successfully done this without the ODT, please share. I would be most appreciative.

Thanks,

Robert

Thursday, March 2, 2017 8:41 PM

All replies

• I just created a volume license Project 2013 APP-V package and it works. Its office 2016 that does not take volume license. Office 2013 still does.

Kiranmayi

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 11:07 PM
  • Hi Kiranmayi,

Can you pull the .appv back into the sequencer and then launch Project 2013? I need to get add-ins added to the package. This is why I am looking for a recipe other than using the ODT.

Thanks,

Bob

Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:52 AM
  • Why not created sepperate packages for those addins and join them together with a connection group?

Roy Essers

Thursday, March 16, 2017 12:21 PM
  • I don't see why not. I did it with office 2016 and edited few settings. Same should be possible here.

And as Roy mentioned, you can always create add-in packages separately and create connection groups.

Kiranmayi

Thursday, March 16, 2017 5:34 PM
  • Hi Kiranmayi,

When I pull the .appv file back into the sequencer, the application will not launch after. It fails with a license error.

Are you using licensing other than volume licensing?

Bob

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 4:07 PM
  • Did you open the package for Edit or Update? If for update, it is not supported. If for edit, you should not have a problem and I did it. I just launched it on client and it worked. 

When I opened it for upgrade, I did not even see project in the list of application in the launch phase of sequencer. 

Kiranmayi

Friday, March 24, 2017 8:54 PM
  • Again, what's holding you back for creating a separate package for the addin and joining it with a connectiongroup. Each time you want to upgrade Project and/or your addin, you have to perform this (unsupported) task. Managing separate packages is much easier.

The process for creating an add-in package would be:
    1) Use ODT to create your Project package.
    2) Expand the Project package on your sequencer.
    3) Start project at least once.
    4) Create your addin package (don't bother to choose a sequencing method, just go by default).
    5) check the COM and object settings from the Project package and set them also for your add-in (they must match)
    6) merge them with a connection group, Project on place1 as mandatory package!

Roy Essers

Sunday, March 26, 2017 10:14 PM
  • Hi Roy,

#3 cannot be done on the sequencer and one of the add-ins that needs to be installed opens Project in order for it to get installed.

Not trying to be mean or anything here but we are really getting off topic of my post. While some sort of workaround would be really nice to get these working with an ODT version of Project, I really need to know if anyone has a working recipe for manually packaging apps such as Project and Visio.

If nobody has tried this, I will just move on and see if I can get one created manually. If not, we will have to move to a different delivery method.

Thanks,

Robert

Monday, March 27, 2017 4:32 PM
  • In mine opinion you should not bring more complexity into it by trying to repackage Office manually. I had successful results in the past for both office 2007/2010 incl visio and project (both user as machine based deployment), but still with use of the office deployment kit (due licensing). 
    Anyhow that's up to you to decide... I'm just trying to help you come up with a solution.

Why would #3 not be possible? If you can manually install and start Project on your sequencer, expanding the ODT created package should give the same result (you can even use this powershell cmdlet to do so: Expand-AppvSequencerPackage). Because one of your addins start Project, it's even more a reason to install and start it befor starting your sequencer.

Roy Essers

Monday, March 27, 2017 10:39 PM