none
MS Project 2010 Links between projects file not found RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

main Information:

1) I am working on Project Server 2010

2) I have one INPUT/OUTPUT Schedule with several links to the 10 other Schedules

3) I am doing byweekly backup (local) from each file (open everything in read mode -> work offline -> save as...)

4) After a currupt file (critical path was not working any more) I decided to make restore the Schedules from the backup (open all from local, save as on Project Server - V2 in the end of the name)

5) I deleted the old Versions from Project Server

6) If I open any of the 10 Schedules alone it seams that there is no problem

7) If you open the Input/Output Schedule I get allways the "links between projects" popup with the hint "File not found" for each of the links! Even, if the filename that he shows is correct! And also, if I do: brows -> select the Schedule -> save file and open again!

Any one that have may an Idea how that comes?

Thanks in advance for your support!

Br

Tobias

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 9:47 AM

All replies

• Tobias,

First of all, I'll assume you are aware that inter-project links are prone to corruption so using them in a server environment is a gamble.

My guess is the inter-project links were "lost" when you renamed each of the files with the "V2" appendix. If you are getting the "links between projects" popup on open it likely means the links are corrupt and you will have to re-establish them. I would first save all files as XML and then re-open the XML in Project. I also suggest you trash the exiting INPUT/OUTPUT schedule and then re-create it before you re-create the links.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 3:07 PM
  • Hi Jon,

thanks for the reply.

I tried to save all the files as XML and to open from there but I got several failure messages during the opening and in the end all predecessors and sucessors are not available any more.

So, that is not what I need.

Yes I know that it is chalanging to have so many interlinks on the Project Server :-)

Any other idea?

One more information: If one of the Schedules is open in parallel MS Project does find the File - only if the linked file is close I have the message "File not found"!

Br

Tobias

• Edited by der_toby Wednesday, August 16, 2017 1:31 PM
    Wednesday, August 16, 2017 1:03 PM
  • Tobias,

If you had that much trouble opening the XML files, then there is definitely a problem with your files and it is probably due to the inter-project links.

I see two options, one is to save all inter-project links in extra fields (e.g. Text1) and then delete them from the Predecessor & Successor fields. Basically un-link everything. Again, save all files as XML and re-open. Then re-establish the inter-project links using the information saved in the extra field. This however still leaves you with a linked structure which I can almost guarantee will corrupt again.

I think a better solution, if you have a lot of interaction between files, is to combine everything into a single file. That may be more cumbersome and inconvenient but will eliminate the possibility of file corruption due to inter-project links.'

John

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 1:34 PM