Can't load some Favourite websites RRS feed

• Question

• A few weeks ago, a site I visit daily suddenly wouldn't load. For a couple of days I kept getting the "Page Cannot be Displayed" message. Just as quick as the problem started it stopped again and I could get into the site. Yesterday, the same thing has started happening with another one of my favourites and I am beginning to lose the will to live!!

I have read various solutions - clearing out cookies, history etc., repairing IE, malware/spyware issues etc. but so far nothing has worked. I tried to load it through a proxy server but get the same message - Page cannot be displayed.

I am using Vista Home Premium and a Netgear Router. This problem happens on both IE and Firefox.

Please can anyone help?

Sunday, February 24, 2008 7:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For the error message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage", please follow the steps in the following KB articles:

You receive an error message in Internet Explorer 7: "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431/en-us

How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us

If the above articles cannot help, please let me know.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Yog Li

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 10:05 AM

All replies

• I'm having the exact same problem. Two days ago, various sites that I had been visiting regularly just failed to connect. Naturally, at first i just suspected the websites were down, but after a few hours started to think maybe there was another issue.

My brother uses the same wireless connection as me and he connected to the sites with no problem. So that ruled out the sites being down.

In both IE and Firefox I get a message telling me the page can't be detected. When i run any diagnostic I am told the page cannot be found, and this could only be due to me not being connected to the internet (which I blatantly am as MSN still works fine and other sites load) or the site being down.

My brother is using XP, i am using Vista Home Premium. My wireless adapter is a Peak II 54 Mbps 802.11g Wireless LAN PCI Card, the Router is a Netgear, my ISP is AOL Broadband. My brother has no connection issues so I've ruled out the problem being my network or AOL.

The websites I can't connect to are www.rotherhamunited.co.uk or any of the Football MAD pages, www.youtube.com, www.boxrec.com.

I've deleted cookies, run a virus/spyware check, I even reformatted the entire drive and the problem is still there. I've temporarily disabled all security settings, firewall etc.

I am completely fed up as doesn't seem any logical explanation for this happening, and the fact the only "help" I'm getting in the error message is that the website is not working or my computer isn't connected to the internet.

I can only assume that when my computer did its automatic Windows Update on friday that it downloaded something thats causing me this problem, and as I reformatted the first thing my computer did upon going back online was to check for and install all the latest windows updates.

Please help as this is beyond a joke now.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 11:51 PM
  • Hi,

For the error message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage", please follow the steps in the following KB articles:

You receive an error message in Internet Explorer 7: "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431/en-us

If the above articles cannot help, please let me know.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Yog Li

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 10:05 AM
  • hi-

i am also having trouble loading some of my regular websites........netgrocer.com, netflix.com, hydrofarm.com.  i keep getting the "cannot display the webpage" error.  but other websites work fine.  i use XP Home on windows.

i have tried most of the "fixes" suggested........

deleted cookies, browser history, etc

turned off security programs

tried different browsers

checked with my isp (no isp problems)

had other people try the websites (they work for them)

reset the modem

flushed the dns cache

tried using IP addresses instead, but it didn't make a difference with one exception.  i could load one page in netgrocer.com.  but all the other netgrocer pages wouldn't load

ran the IE diagnostic program but it does not give an IP address

tried a few different restores (with the last restore my firefox browser crashed and is not responding!!).

i am getting quite nervous.  i really need my computer......it literally is a lifeline for me.  for example i need to get groceries but i can't do it!  netgrocer.com is the only way i can get food right now (& i can't access their website).  

i'm going to try the test for incompatibility with other programs........

anyone else having any luck with this problem?  thanks.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 1:52 PM
  • Yog Li,

Your post helped me so much. Thank you so much.

I tried to access the Access 2003 training courses for the on http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC101178791033 and I was unable to hear the sound on the 1st course called the "Overview". When I tried to click "Next" to go to the next course or go to the left side of the page and click on one of the links for the other courses in that module I would hear a click but nothing would happen or else IE would just keep polling and never load it. I was then stuck on that webpage and couldn't maneuver within that website anymore so I had to just close IE and get back in and try again.

This is what helped me:

Method 3: Run Internet Explorer 7 in "No Add-Ons" mode (to determine it was an add-on problem)

Option 2: Use the Manage Add-ons tool to determine which add-on is causing the issue

I went to the list of Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer to display all add-ons that are installed on the computer and the one for the Microsoft Office website was "Disabled". I enabled it and everything works!!

Thank you so much b/c I really needed these tutorials to help me prepare for an interview/test. 

Yeah!!

Friday, May 16, 2008 9:32 PM