none
Server 2012 - Create record pointing to outside Local Subnet without FQDN. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I got a small but technical question regarding  DNS setup.

We've got location A and location B.

Location A contacts a server on location B, this is not a Windows based server but an IBM Server.

This IBM server has a simple IP and hostname but no domain suffix. This server is also not connected to our domain and DNS and works standalone.

We use a Site to Site tunnel to contact the second location.

Our internal network has 192.168.5.0 and the Location B 192.168.6.0

The server we are contacting has IP 192.168.6.4 and I am able to contact the server through IP.

The hostname of the Server on location B is simply: IBM

So I need to create a DNS record in our server:   IBM -> 192.168.6.4

The issue is, when I create an A record in our DNS it will add a FQDN: IBM.COMPANY.LOCAL but the server on location B is not connected to a domain. This also causes that I am unable to create another Forward Lookup Zone.

So in simple translation.
    Server on location B is called: IBM
    Server IP on location B is: 192.168.6.4

I need a record that contacts this server on location B from our network through it's hostname.
    We use software on the local  domain clients that contact this external server through it's hostname.

I know this is possible to set this in the hosts file on our clients but I want to manage this from our DC.

Any tips or tricks?

With kind regards,

Tim Grave

• Edited by Tim_86 Friday, February 10, 2017 10:55 AM
    Friday, February 10, 2017 10:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Tim,

>>The issue is, when I create an A record in our DNS it will add a FQDN: IBM.COMPANY.LOCAL but the server on location B is not connected to a domain.

If server on location B is not connected to domain, client still could query address of this server by FQDN.

It is could not be achieved if A record is created without suffix, when client query host name for DNS, it will append suffix by default.

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Tim_86 Tuesday, February 14, 2017 6:32 AM
    Monday, February 13, 2017 6:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Tim,

>>The issue is, when I create an A record in our DNS it will add a FQDN: IBM.COMPANY.LOCAL but the server on location B is not connected to a domain.

If server on location B is not connected to domain, client still could query address of this server by FQDN.

It is could not be achieved if A record is created without suffix, when client query host name for DNS, it will append suffix by default.

Best Regards

John

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Tim_86 Tuesday, February 14, 2017 6:32 AM
    Monday, February 13, 2017 6:02 AM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for your reply, I will creat an A record on our domain and see if it resolves to location B.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 6:33 AM
  • Hi Tim,

If there is anything we can do for you, please feel free to post it in the forum.

Best Regards

John

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 7:36 AM