Help - I'can't restore my HD saved files - savedata.mig file not found? RRS feed

• Question

•  

My old pc (had windows XP) wouldn't allow me to move files from one folder to another anymore.  So I used easy windows transfer and put them on my external HD.  My new PC has windows vista - when i used file transfer to extract my 62.4GB of files - I got the message Savedata.mig file not found? 

Can anyone please help me to retrieve my photos, music etc - I'm not very good at all this PC stuff  but if anyone can please tell my in a simple way what I'm suposed to do, I would really appriciate this as I've allready tried to fix this for over 1 week now

Saturday, June 14, 2008 1:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

From your description, I understand that you backed up data using Files and Settings Transfer Wizard instead of Windows Easy Transfer in Windows XP.

In this case, we cannot restore the data to Windows Vista as Windows Vista does not have Files and Settings Transfer Wizard and Windows Easy Transfer is incompatible with Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. In addition, we cannot convert the .DAT file to a .mig file.

Currently, if you would like to retrieve the data, you need to restore it to a Windows XP computer. If you have another Windows XP computer, you can have a try. Otherwise, you need to reinstall Windows XP on your computer and then restore the data.

In fact, if you would like to transfer files from Windows XP to Windows Vista, we can use Windows Easy Transfer. Windows Easy Transfer is a built-in component in Windows Vista but not in Windows XP. However, we can install Windows Easy Transfer on Windows XP from the following site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2b6f1631-973a-45c7-a4ec-4928fa173266&DisplayLang=en

For more information about Windows Easy Transfer, please refer to the following article:

How to use Windows Easy Transfer to migrate files and settings from one Windows-based computer to another Windows Vista-based computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928634/en-us

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:33 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Please double-click the SaveData.mig file to restore the data. Before doing that, please make sure you have enough disk space to restore the data. The file size is now 62.4GB and it will be much larger after the file is extracted.

If the issue persists, please let me know the exact wording of the error message.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, June 16, 2008 3:23 AM
  • Hi Tim

My files are in a folder called USMT2(2).unc - each file inside is called IMG0000A, B, C through to F then IMG0001A throught o F then IMG00021 and there is a status file that I can open on notepad which reads 4MSU

Nothing is actually there called savedate.mig - when I ran windows transfer file in vista, I just clicked on the last file in the folder (IMG00021) - that is when the wizzard said - Savedata.mig file not found.  I have 306 GB free space on the external harddrive and 156GB free space on my C drive.

Regards

ilona

Monday, June 16, 2008 6:19 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Now I would like to confirm how you backed up these files. Did you use Windows Easy Transfer? If so, there files will be compressed to a file named SaveData.mig. You can copy this SaveData.mig file to the destination computer and then double-click the SaveData.mig file to restore the data. You can also save the SaveData.mig file to an external drive, connect the external drive to the destination computer and then open this file to restore the data.

As you mentioned there is not a file named SaveData.mig, I am afraid that you did not use Windows Easy Transfer to backup files. Please let me know the detailed steps how you backed up and restored files.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 6:57 AM
  • Hi Tim

I did use windows easy transfer in XP....so all files are .DAT files.  my new PC has windows vista - which asks for .mig files.  As I don't have windows XP anymore - is there any way to either transfer .DAT files to .MIG files?  Otherwise, do you know of a software programme that can actually open up .DAT files that are approx. 2GB each in size??

Many thanks for your help

ilona

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 10:50 AM
  • Hi Tim

I used Files & Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP (as my taskbar had dissapeard and I couldn't use any of the functions to transfer data from one drive to another - I went onto the 'C' drive -  windows - Accessories - System tools and then clicked on the Files & settings transfer wizard application) - I asked for the back up to be saved on an External Harddrive as I was unable to get the data off any other way - and I ticked the box to manually change which folders I wanted it to save as I had a lot of personal stuff (photo's & music files on there) on my 'D' drive to the ones that were selected automatically by the wizard.....then I had to wait a long time - and when it was finished I clicked on the harddrive to make sure that there were files copied over - and I saw a load of .DAT files and a file status file.  I assumed that was all that was needed - so I set the computer back to factory settings to see if it would work again, as in the old state I could hardly do anything anymore appart from look at the files.

I tried a restoration programme on the files - and it did find another file starting with $... something (sorry, I can't think what the rest is as I'm at work at the moment and haven't got the details at hand)

Regards

ilona

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 2:41 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

From your description, I understand that you backed up data using Files and Settings Transfer Wizard instead of Windows Easy Transfer in Windows XP.

In this case, we cannot restore the data to Windows Vista as Windows Vista does not have Files and Settings Transfer Wizard and Windows Easy Transfer is incompatible with Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. In addition, we cannot convert the .DAT file to a .mig file.

Currently, if you would like to retrieve the data, you need to restore it to a Windows XP computer. If you have another Windows XP computer, you can have a try. Otherwise, you need to reinstall Windows XP on your computer and then restore the data.

In fact, if you would like to transfer files from Windows XP to Windows Vista, we can use Windows Easy Transfer. Windows Easy Transfer is a built-in component in Windows Vista but not in Windows XP. However, we can install Windows Easy Transfer on Windows XP from the following site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2b6f1631-973a-45c7-a4ec-4928fa173266&DisplayLang=en

For more information about Windows Easy Transfer, please refer to the following article:

How to use Windows Easy Transfer to migrate files and settings from one Windows-based computer to another Windows Vista-based computer

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:33 AM
  • Hi Tim

It looks like it worked - the programme just finished running and all my files appear to be there....so just wanted to say thank you so much for all your help on this - I really appreciate it

ilona

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 12:11 PM
  • I made a backup using Windows Easy Transfer on an old XP PC for transfer to a new Vista PC.

Unfortunately the new Vista PC wouldn't run some software that I needed, so I purchased a retail copy of XP and installed it.

When I run Windows Easy Transfer on XP it seems to only want to create a backup.

My question is, can I use Windows Easy Transfer to restore the backup on the new XP (formerly Vista) PC?

Thursday, July 31, 2008 6:15 PM
  •  

Hi - I managed to restore my files from my old PC (which was windows XP) and everything is working fine now on my new vista PC.  The problem I had was that I used Windows easy transfer on XP to save everything I wanted (This created a folder which had a load of .DAT files) - Windows Vista does not open .DAT files, it works with .MIG files - I used the links that microsoft forwarded me (see below).  It created a program that made it possible for me to transfer everything I needed.  Although I must say that for me to do this I used an External hardrive to save the DAT files  from my old PC - I then used Vista PC with the link from below - then used the XP PC (as I still had that PC) to open the files and just copied the programes and files that I needed and put them on my hardrive.

not sure if this was any help, as I'm not really a computer expert - but have a look at the links below as they might help you. 

Hope it helps.

Friday, August 1, 2008 5:40 AM
  • I backed up some data from my Vista Home Basic laptop  to two mig files with Easy Transfer Wizard  Now when I tried to restore from USB drive  to pc, I get error: There was an error reading all pieces of media".
    Monday, March 30, 2009 11:30 AM
  • Hello tim i recently transfered all of my files onto my external hard drive using windows easy transfer in order to install windows 7 from my windows xp computer. So when i installed windows 7 i cannot  restore my files to the windows 7 because windows doesnt regognize .MIG File how can i open it???

conor mckenna
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 12:58 PM
  • It seems like we all have a similar problem.  What I am getting from all the feedback and Tm's response is that I failed to download the windows migration tool design to make a smooth transition from Windows XP to Windows 7, so I am kind of stuck with this IMG0001.DAT file.  Since I plan to reinstall windows XP on a seprate drive with a dualboat option I can recover those files that I saveed through the windows XP easy transfer files & settings.  What I need is some guidance on locating my bios in windows 7 because some of my function keys are not working (i.e. F2 Bios Hot key).     
    Roberto Rodriguez
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 10:52 PM
  • If you uses the files and setting transfer wizard in XP your files are store in an IMAG.DAT file on your external hard drive.  If that is the case.   There may be a couple of ways to retrieve the data depending on how you installed windows 7.  First, if you reformatted the partition of drive where you installed windows 7, you may be able to migrate the files from a windows old folder that was creaded in your windows 7 directory (see following link for resources http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee956910(WS.10).aspx.  Second, as suggested by Tim you can Creared a partion if you still have enough avalable space or an extra hard drive and reinstall windows XP.  This will allow you to recover the data.   This will require a dual boot option in your boot record.  Not as complecated as it sounds if you have access to your bios.   

Roberto Rodriguez
    Correction: on Windows install Old Windows files only appear when you upgrade from one version to the other.  If you reformate the drive where you instal windows you will have an old windows folder, but it will be empty. 
    • Edited by robcsw Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:23 PM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 11:33 PM
  • It seems like we all have a similar problem.  What I am getting from all the feedback and Tm's response is that I failed to download the windows migration tool design to make a smooth transition from Windows XP to Windows 7, so I am kind of stuck with this IMG0001.DAT file.  Since I plan to reinstall windows XP on a seprate drive with a dualboat option I can recover those files that I saveed through the windows XP easy transfer files & settings.  What I need is some guidance on locating my bios in windows 7 because some of my function keys are not working (i.e. F2 Bios Hot key).     
    Roberto Rodriguez

OK, so I have spent the past 4 nights at home researching this issue and I have discovered a few things.  Firstly ALL is NOT lost and you CAN restore your files.  But it will take time.

My scenario is I had an XP Home with SP 1 installed.  I'd backed up the XP files using the MigWiz.exe (Files and Settings Transfer Wizard).  I then wiped the disk and installed W7.  I attempted to restore the files using MigWiz.exe (MigWiz.exe Ver. Ver. 6.4.760.16385) but W7 would not recognise the files (.dat).  I'd backed them up to an external USB drive so the path was E:\LaptopBackup\USMT2.UNC

So, I got myself another XP machine (XP Professional this time XP SP1 [or 1a as it is known] ) and attempted to restore the files.

This is what I discovered: the version of XP in my case didn't matter; however the service pack did matter.  I tried with earlier service packs to restore the .dat files but to no avail.  I grabbed XP SP3, installed it and retried with the MigWiz.exe Ver. 5.1.2600.5512 - this worked, but is still taking ALL NIGHT to restore my 56Gbs worth of data.

I got the MizWiz.exe Ver. 5.1.2600.1106 from an XP Home SP1 CD.
    I got the MizWiz.exe Ver. 5.1.2600.2180 from an XP Home SP2 CD.
    I got the MizWiz.exe Ver. 5.1.2600.5512from an XP Professional SP3 CD (installed SP3).

My W7 install has: MizWiz.exe Ver. 6.4.760.16385 so don't even think about using this to try to restore your XP files.

Forget alternative tools and I struggled with them and opted to get the MigWiz.exe GUI.

Note that I was using a USB share and could not restore the files from a local drive.  Others may have had some sucess but I did not.  Not only that but also, you cannot point the MigWiz.exe directly to the USMT2.UNC folder, if you do, it will fail.  For example, you cannot point it to E:\LaptopBackup\USMT2.UNC

Instead, you have to point it to the directory above, the parent directory.  In my case it was: E:\LaptopBackup\

As I'm always happy to chip in with support queries (maybe even send you the MigWiz.exe files) you can email me directly:

adam [at] cappsie [dot] com - no spam thanks!

All the best,
    Adam.

• Edited by CaPPsiE Wednesday, October 5, 2011 9:47 PM Version update
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 9:33 PM
  • I went through this process and now I have an IMG00001.dat that the Windows XP file and transfer wizard will not even regonized.
    Roberto Rodriguez
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 8:58 PM