Public & Private Address RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Hope you can help!

I'm bit confused here - Let say I am in Private IP range Network(do have Internet connectivity) and I'm allowing a Public IP address(just to access a web application on port 80 or 443) into my Internet firewall. Then, private IP should have access to Internet to access that web application? or without internet connection, it can be accessed as the public ip address is allowed into firewall.

TIA

Regards,

Ram

• Moved by Hasham Niaz Monday, October 22, 2012 8:30 PM Moving to more appropriate Forum (From:MSDN, TechNet, and Expression Profile and Recognition System Discussions)
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 10:32 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If the web application is host in internal, you can access with internal address. All private users can access it without Internet connection. However, since we have published the web server on Internet, internal user can also connect with public IP address.

Best Regards,

Aiden

Aiden Cao

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Aiden_Cao Monday, October 29, 2012 2:46 AM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 6:53 AM
  • Hi,

Aiden is correct. I'd like to add though that you can think about how this works by thinking about the routing of traffic. A private IP address on your network will access other private IP addresses without ever going to the Internet. However, if a user types in a public IP address they are routed outside your private network. If the public address is NAT translated to a web server on your internal network, they will come back into the private network from outside. So, essentially this method sends the user on a longer trip than is needed.

This is dependent on DNS of course. If you have an internal Web server with an external address, then whatever name the user types into their browser will be translated by DNS into an IP address, either public or private. If your internal DNS servers give a private address, then the user will not go out to the Internet and back in again as I described. If the internal DNS servers give a public address then they will go out to the Internet and back.

-Greg

Saturday, October 27, 2012 5:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You might want to ask this question in Platform Networking forum

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverPN/threads

Thanks

P.S. You have posted this in a wrong forum.

Appropriate Content for this Forum ( MSDN, TechNet, and Expression Profile and Recognition System Discussions )

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/is/Profile/thread/7d3e7752-96a7-4a6c-8bbf-9001eb1149b1

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 3:50 PM
  • Hi,

If the web application is host in internal, you can access with internal address. All private users can access it without Internet connection. However, since we have published the web server on Internet, internal user can also connect with public IP address.

Best Regards,

Aiden

Aiden Cao

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 6:53 AM
  • Hi,

Aiden is correct. I'd like to add though that you can think about how this works by thinking about the routing of traffic. A private IP address on your network will access other private IP addresses without ever going to the Internet. However, if a user types in a public IP address they are routed outside your private network. If the public address is NAT translated to a web server on your internal network, they will come back into the private network from outside. So, essentially this method sends the user on a longer trip than is needed.

This is dependent on DNS of course. If you have an internal Web server with an external address, then whatever name the user types into their browser will be translated by DNS into an IP address, either public or private. If your internal DNS servers give a private address, then the user will not go out to the Internet and back in again as I described. If the internal DNS servers give a public address then they will go out to the Internet and back.

-Greg

Saturday, October 27, 2012 5:36 PM